Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Update Error Code 80070490 - has anyone found a solution?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R!CH

R!CH

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

i had to reinstall vista because of a random catastrophic crash and very recently i restored my pc to working order from a rootkit trojan with the help of _temp_ over on the hjt subforum.

the only thing i couldn't get to work is windows update. the updater installed sp1 successfully, but the 26 important updates following that refuse to install. what i get is a 100% download confirmation, then a 100% install confirmation, then an error Code 80070490 whereby none of the updates integrate. i tried installing these security updates individually and they all seem to successfully install this way except that when i go back to the list of available updates, there they are again as if nothing happened.

_temp_ suggested that this error code was caused by alcohol 120, which i have since uninstalled, but that action has not produced results. his other suggestion was that i load a system restore point, but the only ones i have in the queue are restore points from when i had a rootkit infection, therefore those are no good.

what i'd like to know is how this problem came about and if there is any other fix for it.

i found this on google, but kinda iffy on it destabilizing my os: http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008...erver-2008.aspx

any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R!CH

R!CH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

also worth noting... i've tried the solution offered here: http://nicolask.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/w...ode-0x80246007/

which says to turn off windows updates, delete/rename the /softwaredistribution/download folder, load the 2 bits app extensions, turn on windows updates again and retry, but i get the following error when trying to load qmgr.dll through command prompt:

RegSvr32

The module "qmgr.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "qmgr.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

my thought is that this might have something to do with the problem?

#3 R!CH

R!CH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

just tried again and now there's 2 errors: 80070490 and 80070103

#4 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

Wow, that's a bummer. I hope you get it solved, and I hope it never happens to me.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users