Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

For my own interest, is 8.10 a better system than 8.04 ?

Seems like it's faster installing 8.10 (using WUBI)
I know some out there don't like using WUBI but I like
the uninstall feature WUBI offers..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:03 PM

Most people say that 8.04 is more stable since it is a LTS (long term support) version. But actually, my experience was just the opposite.

I had numerous issues with java, Skype, sound, and wireless support with 8.04. All those issues were resolved with 8.10.

I just installed 9.04 on my "test" system this afternoon and have been playing with it for several hours now. So far everything is outstanding.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

If your not running LTS (8.04) then usually it is best to say with the current release, unless support is dropped for something you use or the system reuirements are more than your PC has. in the upgrade, in which case it would be wise to stay with the one your using currently. 8.10 and 9.04 are supposed to have better laptop battery life than previous releases.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users