Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LG GH22NP20 shuts down PC during burn

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

I have a problem with my DVD drive, an LG GH22NP20, where it shuts down the PC while it is trying to burn a data disc of MP3 files. It doesn't actually "shut down", it simply cuts off the power so the PC suddenly turns off. I've seen many other people have problems with this model of DVD drive but not this issue. I'd like to note that the product doesn't seem to exist on the LG website, so finding a driver update isn't possible... If possible, I'd like to resolve this issue without having to buy a new drive seeing as my family is strapped for cash. Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem? In the past it has burnt MP3s onto a disc fine, but now it forces a shutdown every time we try to burn a disc of this type.

I've just searched all of the optical products on the LG site and the only one that looks like my drive it this, but the model name is completely different from what my computer is telling me so I guess it only looks the same as it has the same text on the disc tray "Super Multi, LG, SecurDisc", and obviously it isn't a good thing to install a driver for a completely different product...

Edited by Larfin_Man, 06 May 2009 - 09:45 PM.

I Thought What I'd Do Was I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes, Or Should I?

You Know What I'd Like To Be? I Mean If I Had My Goddam Choice, I'd Just Be The Catcher In The Rye And All

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:11 AM

I forgot to mention that I've updated the firmware from 1.01 to 1.03 and the problem still persists. I guess it's also worth noting the burning software I use, which is Nero 8.
I Thought What I'd Do Was I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes, Or Should I?

You Know What I'd Like To Be? I Mean If I Had My Goddam Choice, I'd Just Be The Catcher In The Rye And All

#3 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:37 AM

No ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

If an optical drive...contributes to a system shutdown/shutoff...I would suspect either the drive or the PSU.

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:54 AM

Nothing seems to be coming up in Event Viewer, only TCPIP warnings that the concurrent number of connections has been reached (nothing serious obviously).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users