Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group policy, admin. question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Devin

Devin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hey all! I work in the IT department and we need some way to stop people from installing programs on their computer. We're running WinXP Pro. and tried to just make them limited user accnts but for some reason they cant get onto our AS400 unless they are an admin. already tried to reinstall client access (the as400 program) on the limited accnt but to no avail. I was looking at group policy but i cant find a way to stop people from installing programs they're not supposed to have and still have (almost) full functionallity of the comp. So if anyone has ANY ideas i'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:09 PM

Well, you had the right idea for that originally. I don't know what the interface is for client access to the AS/400 exactly but is it possible that, in a limited user mode, access to the AS/400 could be run in Administrator mode (w/o giving the users themselves the account password?). You might check with support for your AS/400 or the particular client access interface to see if they acknowledge that it can only be run from XP Pro as an administrator or have some work-arounds prepared.

Off-topic but in my experience, the benefits of having the users operating at anything less than Priveledged User or local Administrator for their machine isn't worth the myriad of headaches caused by crippling them and always in the really urgent and time-critical instances. Prescribe what conduct you expect from them in corporate policy or what-have-you but don't actually lock down their PCs. JMHO.

#3 Kr1s

Kr1s

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:14 PM

In short, you can't do what you want without some third party app.

One of the flaws with XP Pro and security rights unfortunately.

#4 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:06 PM

I would consider setting up a small server to give rights to all of the users

#5 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:26 AM

Have you considered running a ghost script? (have never tried one for Windows XP though)

You could enable all the users you want/need to use the Administrator function of the local PC, but then whenever they try something, you can have the script kill the function.

-Hope it helps

Adam

#6 Devin

Devin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!
Yeah i've been looking at some 3rd party apps. That might be the best way to go. However im not sure what a ghost script is...could you shed a little light? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users