Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Lock Down Comp for Specific User

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

Well, my dear son is getting to be quite the computer whiz....at 5 years old! :thumbsup:
Why, he knows more about computers and how they work more than I did when I graduated from University, back in 1992. <OMG>

I want to "aggressively limit" his access to programs, partitions, and anything that would harm the computer if he did the wrong thing.

Now, here's my problem.

1) I run Vista Home Premium (READ: no Group Policy Editor, gpedit)
2) Do not, do not, direct me to that massive spreadsheet that Microsoft has available for Vista Home users, that list the registry tweeks for GPEdit....I don't plan on editing the registry manually.
3) Parental Controls help me with controlling which websites to block and which Programs to block, but I need to do MUCH MORE.

a) Prevent access to and hide specific partitions (like the Windows partition) from use.
:flowers: Prevent access to Control panel, Admin functions (ie: Computer Management, Event viewer, etc.)
c) Block regedit from running.
d) Prevent accessing Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)
e) Disable Right-click (context menu).
f) Show only certain programs in the Start Menu
g) Prevent changes to wallpaper, screen savers, etc.
h) However, allow Antivirus, Firewall, Windows Update to work and update normally, but obviously, prevent access or changes to it.
i) Disable Autorun on all flash drives.
j) Prevent accessing Tools on Internet Explorer or Firefox.

These are just some of the things I want to do.
Think of this as a computer at a Public Library or Resource Centre.....if you ever used one of these, you can see how restrictive they are.

Now, Doug Knox has an excellent Freeware utility for XP Home users (that don't have the Group Policy)....but it says it's only for XP.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

Is there any similar program for Vista....Freeware or Shareware??

Thanks. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

When you said "library" it came back to me somewhat
It's a free Microsoft application, I just cannot remember the name at the moment
I'll do some searching
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Haven't found what I'm looking for yet
Similar discussion here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225078/software-that-prevents-unauthorized-installation-or-system-changes/
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

Did you mean "SteadyState"?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Have any experience with it?

Also, what about MagicTweak?
http://www.magictweak.com/

I looked at MagicTweak but it has very little information on support & help. I want to know if there is a difference between the Paid version and trial version so I can make an informed decision. However, it has very good reviews.

So, I may have answered my original question, but now I'm looking for some opinions. :flowers:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

That's it
I haven't used it. A friend in the Peace Corps. set up a library using it and said it was sufficient for her needs
Mark
Posted Image

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Edit.

Edited by Dennis H, 07 May 2009 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users