Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file that cant be deleted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ashley_riot_111

ashley_riot_111

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

hello guys, can I ask for a help?!

I downloaded a file from bit torrent and I think it has a virus because I cant delete it.. I remebered that when i was downloading the torrent, only this file cant be completed.. btw, this is an mp3 file and a 0kb size.. I tried to rename it then delete it or move it to recycle bin but the access is denied.. I dont know if t is a virus or when i tried to remove the torrent and the data from the bit torrent that cause this problem..

02 Robin Thicke - A Beautiful World

this is the name of the file.. if this is a virus, I hope someone could tell me how to remove it..thank you so much..
Ashley Riot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hello Ashley Riot.

Sure you can ask for help :thumbsup: .

That file itself does not look like malware, though I can't tell from just a file name.

Please state the full path to the file. For example:
C:\Documents and settings\user\my documents\02 Robin Thicke - A Beautiful World.mp3.

In the meantime, let's get a scan off.

Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
If you already have MBAM installed, simply update and run a quick scan.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware setup and to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

Refer to the steps given here on installing MalwareBytes, running the scan, and saving the log file (not on using File Assasin).
  • If you have trouble updating, try the other mirror download site.
  • Should the computer in question not be able update using the normal method download the update file from here, using another machine if needed. Simply double click the file to install the updates.
  • If MalwareBytes asks to reboot to remove certain items, do so right away.
Please include the scan logfile in your next reply.

Peer-to-Peer Programs Warning
These programs allow to share files between users as the name(s) suggest. In today's world cyber crime has come to an enormous dimension and any means is used to infect personal computers to make use of their stored data or machine power for further propagation of the malware files. A popular means is the use of file-sharing tools as a tremendous amount of prospective victims can be reached through it.

It is therefore possible to be infected by downloading manipulated files via peer-to-peer tools and thus suggested to be used with intense care. Some further readings on this subject, along the included links, are as follows: File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

It is also important to note that sharing entertainment files and proprietary software infringes the copyright laws in many countries over the world and you are putting yourself at risk of being indicted through organizations watching over the rights of the authors of such files (i.e. the RIAA for music files, or the MPAA for movie files in the USA) or the authors of the files themselves.

Naturally there are also legal ways to use these services, such as downloading Linux distributions or office suites such as "Open Office."
With Regards,
The Panda

#3 ashley_riot_111

ashley_riot_111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

alright!!!!
the file now has been removed.. wow, its surely a big help.. THANKS A LOT MR. PANDA!!!
this is my 2nd time asking a help and you guys were really really great!!

ummm..i have a question if you dont mind..whats the difference between spyware from malware and which is more dangerous?

btw heres the scan log from the anti-malware you gave:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2088
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

5/8/2009 12:30:51 AM
mbam-log-2009-05-08 (00-30-51).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 87625
Time elapsed: 28 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

AGAIN THANKS A LOT!!! :-)
Ashley Riot

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hello.

Spyware refers to a program that steals information specifically, though, nowdays, it's often used to refer to any bad program.

Malware is the correct term to refer to Malicious Software, which can include viruses, spyware etc.

There does not appear to be an infection.

With Regards,
The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users