Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers won't install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Its a Gateway laptop Model MX6428. I found my offical drivers on thier website and downloaded the audio driver and transfered it to my PC on a USB flash drive. When I tryed to install it it simply just didnt work.

I opened the file as directed, clicked "install" and when the process was over it said "Results: Failure"

I didnt try any others, only thing I can think of is I need to install the BIOS drivers first but I checked them before and the BIOS seem fine.

(Not sure if this topic went here or on the XP board)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Are you sure the drivers work with your OS? Drivers are also usually made for either a 32-bit OS, or a 64-bit OS. You may have downloaded the drivers for the opposite version that you have.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

Are you sure the drivers work with your OS? Drivers are also usually made for either a 32-bit OS, or a 64-bit OS. You may have downloaded the drivers for the opposite version that you have.

On Gateways offical site it matched the drivers with XP, the one that came originally installed with my laptop. Im sure its the right OS.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Go into device manager (start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager). Is anything in an error state, or are there any unknown devices? It may help if you're able to take a screenshot of what your device manager looks like too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

Go into device manager (start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager). Is anything in an error state, or are there any unknown devices? It may help if you're able to take a screenshot of what your device manager looks like too.

Under "Other Devices" all of the following have a big yellow "?" next to them:

Multimedia Audio Controler
Ethernet Controler
Mass Storage Controler
Network Contr.
PCI Modem Contr.
SM Bus Contr.
Video Contr. (VGA Compatable)

It says I need to download them to install them. Where would get them? The internet is not installed on the hard drive yet.

Edited by wildcat2000, 08 May 2009 - 12:10 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

All the drivers for your system are on the link stang777 gave you here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224568/just-installed-xp/

Install the motherboard driver first, then you should be able to install the other drivers for all the other hardware.

Also, it's very confusing when you start a new topic for every aspect of the installation. Instead of being able to see all that has led up to your current situation and what has already been covered, people now have to read ten topics. It's best to continue in the one topic until the issues with the installation are all resolved.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users