Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.exe got blocked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyagl643

cyagl643

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, so I have and IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad and have Vipre antivirus software on my computer. It usually asks me when a program runs if I want to block it or not. Well I by accident blocked services.exe when it popped up in the dialog box if i wanted to block it. After that happened Windows was forced to shutdown. After it shutdown it went through the normal boot up but then my whole computer went really really slow to log in. I tried to open Vipre antivirus to try to unblock services.exe but for some odd reason the program opened up like I was opening it for the first time asking me to set it up and register. I tried to open the rescue and recovery service that comes with the computer but it won't work since services.exe pretty much runs everything with the Thinkpad services. So I don't know what to do and was wondering if there was anyway to fix this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

Try uninstalling your anti-virus in Safe Mode. Then if you can boot into Normal Mode okay reinstall it.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cyagl643

cyagl643
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

I tried that I can't uninstall on safe mode. I can't even uninstall it in normal mode. It says install shield doesn't work. I know there has to be another way to fix this problem without having to reinstall windows. I blocked services.exe by accident and Windows thinks it deleted it.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

Try reinstalling a fresh copy of Vipre over the top of the existing install.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cyagl643

cyagl643
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

yeh that would be great but installshield doesn't work because services.exe is not working.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

This seems to be a reoccurring problem:

Here is now to resolve the missing services.exe file on your computer. First in safe mode go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sunbelt\AntiMalware and delete any .xml files in that folder. This will prevent Vipre from trying to block the new services.exe we put in.

Then follow the steps below

1. Insert the original Windows XP CD (Windows XP with Service Pack 2 is preferred, but not required) and reboot the computer. You may need to configure your computer to boot from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Windows XP Setup has started, press "R" to "repair the Windows XP installation using Recovery Console".
3. Select the Windows installation to repair (generally this is C:\Windows) by typing its number and then pressing ENTER.
4. Type the Administrator password and press ENTER.
5. Type the following commands:

D: [ENTER]

CD I386 [ENTER]

EXPAND services.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 [ENTER]

NOTE: If your CD-ROM drive has a different letter assigned to it, enter "X:" instead, where X is the appropriate drive letter.

After entering "EXPAND services.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" you should see the text "1 file(s) copied", in which case all went well.

Remove the Windows XP CD, type "EXIT" and press ENTER to restart your computer.

Their support site
http://getsatisfaction.com/

Quote taken fron here:
http://getsatisfaction.com/sunbeltsoftware...system32_folder

Edited by garmanma, 07 May 2009 - 09:18 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 cyagl643

cyagl643
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

thanks for your help. This won't work in my case however since I don't have the administrator password. This laptop is mine but from school. So I have no control over any of the administrator things including having the password. There is absolutely no other way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users