Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive suddenly will not be recognized by the BIOS but windows still recognizes it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

I have an LG DVD-RAM drive, its the one that newegg is always selling for 24.99 with the Lightscribe. Its Sata, and it always worked perfectly fine, but just recently I went to go Re-Format, and I realized my drive was not being read by the BIOS so I couldnt boot from it, but I had just burnt a CD with it right before I went to reformat, to be sure, i logged back into windows, and burned another disc, it worked fine...but I still can not get my bios to read the drive....I have never had this problem before, it reads my other CDRW IDE Drive fine...any ideas?
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

"LG DVD-RAM drive, its the one that newegg is always selling for 24.99 with the Lightscribe."

I ordered one from the egg awhile back & they sent me a PIoneer ! :thumbsup:

If it works in Windows the BIOS is recognizing it.

Go in the BIOS setup & check the boot order.
In order to boot the XP disk you need the unit set to boot from the CD [or DVD] drive before the hard drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

[i]

If it works in Windows the BIOS is recognizing it.

Go in the BIOS setup & check the boot order.
In order to boot the XP disk you need the unit set to boot from the CD [or DVD] drive before the hard drive.

i know all of this, but im telling you the bios does not show it anywhere, and yet it works in windows. This isnt something normal.. LoL.
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Put the Windows disk in the drive while the unit is running & see if it autostarts.

What does the BIOS show for a secondary drive ?
If it sats "Auto" its's fine.

The simple fact is the drive is veing recognised by the BIOS or it simply wouldn't show in Windows.

If the unit is set to boot from the CD drive first in the BIOS I would say the disk is at fault.

Is it by chance a burned copy ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

it decides now it wants to show it and allow booting from it, in the BIOS...thanks anyway..do you know anything about RAID cards? cuz i need some help wiht mine too.
Posted Image

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

What kind of raid are you going to use ?

#7 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

i have a via 6421 and i want it to allow me to boot a hard drive thats connected to it, i can use the hard drive in windwos, but i cant select it in the bios to boot off of...(this is different from my original prolbem. because my dvd drive is connected to the sata port on the motherboard)
Posted Image

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

When Windows is installed one of the first things you see is "If you need to install 3rd party drivers pess F6"
Did you press F6 & install the drivers for the RAID card when Windows was installed ?
Even if it is just a IDE controller card you have to press F^ & install the drivers to make it bootable.
The drivers have to be on floppy disk[s] to be installed , XP gives no oither option.

If you had Windows installed before you put the card in & you have a XP disk you MIGHT boot the XP disk, press F6 to install the drivers, then exit the install , & get the HD attached to the card to boot.

#9 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

this makes the BIOS let you set the SCSI device as bootable?
Posted Image

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

You should be able to set it to boot from a raid card or IDE controller card in the BIOS.
I can't see the boot options in your BIOS but the3re should be an option to set it.

If you couldn't set it to boot from a raid or IDE controller card the cards [especially RAID] would be useless.

The thing is you may have to reinstall Windows & do the raid drivers during the fresh install to make it work.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 07 May 2009 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users