Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATT DSL and Comcast on the same network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AgustusM

AgustusM

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

Interesting situation I came across today.

went to a small office site where they had both DSL & Cable Internet on the same network.

they have a cable modem with cat 5 running to a router. the router is connected to a switch

they have a ATT DSL modem which is connected to the same switch

then all of the drops from the patch panel are connected to the same switch.

now interestingly enough, they are getting internet access on all of their PC's but I didn't have time to delve into any of it, plus they don't have any of the router/modem passwords - I don't know yet how the computers are connecting out. Bottom line there is a lot I don't know yet.

Has anyone seen a working network that has both, and for what reason. This goes against all my normal network fundamentals.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

redundancy likely

this will be a tough one since you are not able to log into any of the devices......

you could unplug one of the modems during some downtime, see what happens....

a tracert could give you clues to which network the data is going out over.....

just a couple ideas off the top of my head
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users