Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file permissions box uncheck themselves automatically

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Machinedar

Machinedar

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

hey guys,

I am trying to back up my NTFS hard drive so I can reformat it, but I am getting permissions errors on alot of files. The errors say I'm not allowed to access certain files because they are protected. I brought my hard drive back to my main computer where I am administrator and have permission to access the files.
Then I noticed that read-only box was filled with a square. So I unchecked it and told it to propagate through the folder.
After it is done I select ok then go back to properties and find that the square is back again!

I thought it was because the whole drive had certain permissions that had to be changed. I went into the security tab and selected the admin name and saw that it had full control and everything was checked. Then I checked the "replace owner on subcategories and objects" box and it runs through the files changing permissions, but after it finishes the box unchecks itself!

I'm not sure why this is happening or what else to try.

Does any one have any ideas?

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Possibly :thumbsup:.

You are talking about 2 hard drives, with two sets of permissions.

The permissions on your hard drive to be backed up...belong to a different system than the one on which the hard drive is now attached. I believe that, to change those permissions...you have to set new permissions from the new system.

I would try giving permissions to All Users for that drive...from the system it is currently installed on. That should allow you to move files to another drive.

An alternative that my accomplish the same, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

FWIW: That read-only box is insignificant, has nothing to do with permissions. That attribute is easily changed when necessary.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

All of which forces me to ask...just how are you trying to backup this hard drive? The easiest course of action, IMO, would be to just clone the partition/drive.

Louis

#3 Machinedar

Machinedar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

well I have 1 computer which only has 9 gig left on it. That is the computer that i originally partition the external drive on. I guess that's why i always have permissions on it. My external drive has 85gb of files that i need to transfer to another computer to be able to reformat the external drive. So i am trying to transfer all the files onto my computer that has 250gb of free space. The 250gb computer wont allow me to make permission changes to any files. I don't know why. I read that windows help on taking ownership should I log into the 250gb computer and go into safe mode and change the permissions there?

The ultimate goal of this is to be able to partition my NTFS external drive to have a FAT32 partition because I want to move files from a mac laptop onto the external drive. I know its complicated. I could not move the files onto the external drive because it says I cannot write onto the drive. I read that is because Mac cannot write onto NTFS only read and so I have to change it to FAT32 where it can read and write.

#4 Machinedar

Machinedar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

how do i clone the partition drive?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

There are various programs that allow such.

I will not recommend any...if you are truly interested in finding one suitable for you...you will do the necessary Google research.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users