Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing AVG 7.5 Free and installing AVG 8.5 Free

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Hi,

I'm going to be finally uninstalling AVG Free 7.5 A/V and installing AVG Free 8.5 A/V (minus the linkscanner stuff and the security toolbar) -- now that they're finally no longer providing virus definitions for 7.5 Free.

I'm planning to just set a restore point, uninstall AVG Free 7.5 A/V and AVG Anti-Rootkit Free with add/remove programs, then installing 8.5 Free A/V.

I've never had any other A/V on my system, however I *think* I might have had McAfee SiteAdvisor installed in Firefox at one point long ago (and then I removed it from the Firefox extensions). I can't remember if it was this laptop or my previous one...

But if that's the case, do I need to run that McAfee removal tool before installing AVG Free 8.5 A/V? I'm guessing not, since it was just a browser add-on, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure/safe...

Any thoughts?

(I'll also be updating to Firefox 3.0.10 and SAS Free 4.26.1002 from older versions prior to uninstalling AVG 7.5 and installing 8.5...)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users