Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incredibly slower internet with my new router/adapter??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rellikz

rellikz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Ok, so I had a D-link DI-624 and I kept on getting disconnected from it at random intervals from my wireless connection(Sometimes it would be 3 times in an hour, other times it would be once a day, etc). So I figured my signal strength wasn't strong enough and I decided to buy a Linksys WRT310N router and a Linksys WUSB300N adapter because I wasn't sure my old adapter was doing its job that well anyways. So I had everything set up and I was excited to get back online to a disconnecting free internet BUT something else happened. My wireless signal was great and it said its going at 104Mbps but its going exponentially slower than it was with my old router that had a worse(sp?) signal. I called linksys and was on the phone with them multiple times yesterday and after about 3 hours with them I thought they finally found the solution after attempting several things, We updated the firmware and it seemed to be working. But really what happened was we changed the security setting before which disconnected my sisters laptop from her wireless connection and she had 2 downloads going at that time. So I had lag free internet but when she got home she asked to get the internet fixed and it was fixed for her laptop (just needed the new password) and her downloads resumed. my latency went up from 60-130ms to 4000-7000ms on the online game I play and I went to see at what speed she's downloading these "files" of her and it was only going at 1-5kb/s (probably because there weren't enough seeders) but anyways I was experiencing very fast wireless internet (downloads at 1.1mb/s) and then when hers resumed my connection hit a wall. Any idea how to solve this?
ps
sorry for the wall of text.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

I will not go into the subject of what is/was being downloaded.....

If you are downloading something from the internet, say from Microsoft, then you browsing speeds will be slower than normal.
That is because when downloading, it use's up the majority of your available bandwidth.

If you are using a download program then the amount of bandwidth used can be adjusted via the settings --> Google will be your helper here.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users