Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Alone - Five Iffy Services

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 commart

commart

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

System: XP-SP2 PRO OEM

Quick background: Until yesterday, I had had problems with MS Outlook from Office 2007 Professional and was getting around to booting off a CD and producing a clean install from the OS up for my box. On the way, I removed AVG Internet Security (I thought I might attempt a repair; I thought it might be The Problem; etc.). I also unplugged from my direct broadband connection, access via a LAN connection, which I don't fully understand, and am using instead a wireless route for Internet access.

Uploaded and installed yesterday: MS Outlook (Office Suite) and Business Contact Manager, both "Service Pack 2"--and they were stable, and they may be still.

Having skirted, so far, the Great Rebuild, I reinstalled AVG 7.5, for which I had the authorizing e-mail and license. In that installation, I denied or blocked the following services:

Message Queing Service
TCP/IP Services Application
SNMP Service
SQL Browser Services.exe

I enabled/allowed what I recognized: Bonjour, Java.

And I tested the newly installed Outlook. It was a little off its speed with the AVG installation, but it got my mail. I did not check the Business Contact Manager, which I think has something to do with SQL.

When I closed Outlook it requested allowance for "MSFeeds", and I enabled that. That might be the fifth "iffy" service.

Now I'm on the way back to where I was with AVG, i.e., installation on the AVG 7.5 license of AVG 8.5, and I want to make the right calls as regards the above-noted services.

Mine, ideally, should be a stand-alone computer with various peripherals, but I'm mindful of the following:

1. My cable seems to be accessed by enabling a LAN connection--is it possible my box believes it's a server? My intent is to shape the box to support its onboard programs and permitted utilities like MSN or the Google Task Bar or Office Live.

2. I haven't tested Business Contact Manager, but I wonder if that's where the SQL browser request may be coming from.

I don't want to mess up native software (XP and Office 2007) operations associated with a stand-alone box and its peripherals.

I don't want to accidentally invite over-the-Internet traffic unrelated to legitimate programs.

I'm afraid I may have expanded my computer's territory--i.e., "Office Live" may be accessed from my box as a Network Place--and that may be okay, but I want to know what's happening and why, especially when I enable services I don't fully recognize.

Advice, please.

--Jim

Edited by commart, 06 May 2009 - 12:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users