Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing Broken Services: Workstation and Server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ward Johnson

Ward Johnson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

I had to disable both the Workstation and Server Services in order to prevent my Windows XP Pro from hanging during start-up, but now what? My PC started hanging during the start-up process, so I went through Safe Mode and then did a clean boot. When I went through the re-enabled steps, I discovered that both Workstation and Server Services had to be Disabled to prevent the system from hanging. I was able to manually start both the Workstation and Server Services from the Services program, but then the system hung the next time I restarted. I didn't install any new programs. I have McAfee's AT&T Internet Suite running, if that makes any difference. The PC works with Workstation and Server Services disabled, but I want to be able to use printer and file sharing on my home network.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Could be file corruption...malware...etc.

Did you take a look in Event Viewer for clues?

Are all critical updates installed?

Louis

FWIW: I don't believe there is any single application...that adequately protects a system. I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Ward Johnson

Ward Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

Could be file corruption...malware...etc. How could I tell if the file(s) were corrupted? Which file(s)? svchost.exe is used by these Services but what other files do these Services use? How can I find this out?

Did you take a look in Event Viewer for clues? The Alerter failed because Workstation wasn't running. Should a re-enable these Services and look some kind of error message?

Are all critical updates installed? Yes, all updates appear to be installed. Is there a way to re-install the only the files needed to run these Services

Louis

FWIW: I don't believe there is any single application...that adequately protects a system. I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

Ward

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

To reply...just click the Add Reply button at the top of the original post :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Ward Johnson

Ward Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Checked the Event Log ... nothing stands out ...

How about WindowsUpdate.log? Could this have something to do with it?

*********** DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {BCE161EA-FAF8-475F-8D56-67170B418C77}.102] ***********
Regulation: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} - Update BCE161EA-FAF8-475F-8D56-67170B418C77 is "PerUpdate" regulated and can NOT download. Sequence 2949 vs AcceptRate 0.
* Update is not allowed to download due to regulation.
Regulation: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} - Update BCE161EA-FAF8-475F-8D56-67170B418C77 is "PerUpdate" regulated and can NOT download. Sequence 2949 vs AcceptRate 0.

Ward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users