Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Slow System on starting things up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tulip

Tulip

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

Hi.

I am having problems with a very slow system. It is very slow to start up, and also very slow to open up any programs. However, once things do open up (such as the browser), the program running works fine.

I am using Windows XP with 2 users. I was receiving help in the HJT forum and was advised to turn here because they say my system is clean.

I updated Windows, defragmented, cleared infections.

Also, about half of the times I start up the system, the mouse freezes at the point where I'm supposed to select a user. It won't respond to alt/ctl/del and I have to push the button to get a response (shuts it down so I can then restart).

Thanks,
Tulip

list of startup items

mmtask
mm_tray
avgcc
avgemc
msmsgs
WKDetect
Microsoft Office
TunnelGuard Tray
Weird fonts with squares and other characters...
aim (not checked)
bo2filt (not checked)
Webshots (not checked)

The second user lists the same but also has another line of weird fonts (checked) and another line for aim (checked)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:57 AM

Hey, I just noticed something with regard to your user with the MS Office problem. You should try unchecking Office for that user (on startup) and see if that relieves their issue about the installer and error messages.

In other news, what is the processor type and speed and how much RAM does the PC have?

#3 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

T1742 emachines
1.70 GHz Intel Celeron Processor
40 GB Hard Drive Ultra DMA
128 MB
Windows XP Home Edition

~~

Do you need me to do something to combine posts?

:thumbsup:
Tulip

#4 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:18 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I stopped the Office on startup but the Windows Installer notice still pops up on startup.

#5 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'll pop back over to the Office thread if I have more for you on that.

About your computer and the apparent slow and sluggishness. It's a bit gutless I'm afraid. 1.7 GHz doesn't sound so bad offhand except that its a Celeron and those chips are basically crippled by design. But the real culprit might be 128 MB of RAM. In my experience I recommend no less than 512 MB for Windows XP and anything less than 256 MB is really asking for this sort of trouble; sorry.

What you can try is to relieve it of any temporary internet files that it is holding on to (for each user) and also to make sure that it is handling memory in the most efficient way possible.

You say it has a 40 GB drive... how much or what % is free space?

Temporary internet files: In Internet Explorer go Tools, Options to bring up the Internet Options window. First go to the Settings button in the Temporary Files section of the first tab. Here, make sure the space allocated to temp files is not too small. 20 MB (default?) is too small. Make it 64 or 128 MB or so. next click OK and then click on the button to delete temporary files (NOT cookies) and go ahead and check the box when prompted for offline content. Click OK when done and get out.

Your memory is handled under System Properties. (Control Panel - System; or right-click on a My Computer icon and choose Properties) Go to Advanced, click Settings by Performance and go to Advanced again then click Change by Virtual Memory. I would recommend changing your VM to a custom size, max and min both set to 512 MB RAM. After clicking OK to get back out you should be prompted to reboot for changes to take effect.

Sadly, all of this may not get great performance out of that PC running Windows XP but if the feeling is that it has deteriorated over time you may get back some of your lost performance.

#6 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, it has slowed down. Also the mouse is a problem on startup. I apologize, it appears to have 384 MB. Apparently more was added. I just gave you what was on the front sticker. UGH this system is so slow to do anything.

Hmmmm, the temp files is set to 1192 MB.

I've been using CCleaner on both users.

I right clicked on my computer/properties/advanced from the desktop but it doesn't give me those options. I get a different menu than I get on my other (healthy) computer. I wonder if this could be related to the problems I'm having.

If I go via the start menu, I can follow those steps. I changed to 512. I just want to verify that's what it still should be with the different RAM.

USED = 12 GB
FREE = 25.1 GB

Thanks,
Tulip

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

mmtask - Part of MusicMatch Jukebox - digital music player / CD burner and ripper / music organizer / playlist creator. Unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts, as you can run it manually when necessary.

mm_tray - MusicMatch Jukebox icon in the task tray - digital music player / CD burner and ripper / music organizer / playlist creator. Unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts, as you can run it manually when necessary.

avgcc - AVG anti-virus control center. Also enables scheduled tests, Outlook E-mail plug-in and automatic updates. This entry should be left alone and be allowed to run as if it is unchecked it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.

avgemc - AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 Email Cleaner. Scans incoming and outgoing email for viruses. This entry should be left alone and be allowed to run, as if it is unchecked, it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.

msmsgs - Windows Messenger utility. It's up to you whether or not you feel this program needs to run automatically. If you don't use Windows Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> Programs. Go to Windows Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

WKDetect - Checks for updates to MS Works. Unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts, as you can run it manually when necessary.

Microsoft Office - Alternative shortcuts to the Start -> Programs way of running applications installed as part of MS Office. Some people prefer it, but a better way is to create Desktop Shortcuts if you want access these programs quickly. Unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts, as you can run it manually when necessary.

TunnelGuard Tray - an application that is responsible for checking that the required components (executables, DLLs, configuration files, etc.) are installed and active on the remote userís machine. TunnelGuard

bo2filt - Can't find anything on this one. That's usually, not a good sign.

Weird fonts with squares and other characters... - also, not a good sign. Are you by chance using an asian language OS (Operating System) version?

Can you do a search, and get a filename associated with bo2filt and the weird character one?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, it has slowed down. Also the mouse is a problem on startup. I apologize, it appears to have 384 MB. Apparently more was added. I just gave you what was on the front sticker. UGH this system is so slow to do anything.

Hmmmm, the temp files is set to 1192 MB.

I've been using CCleaner on both users.

I right clicked on my computer/properties/advanced from the desktop but it doesn't give me those options. I get a different menu than I get on my other (healthy) computer. I wonder if this could be related to the problems I'm having.

If I go via the start menu, I can follow those steps. I changed to 512. I just want to verify that's what it still should be with the different RAM.

USED = 12 GB
FREE = 25.1 GB

Thanks,
Tulip

384... well that's not so bad. If anything 1192 is a little high. Was it set to that specifically or was it set for Windows to use it's best judgement? I would set it to 768 MB of virtual memory for 284 RAM. But the whole 384 instead of 128 sort of blows that whole idea out of the water anyways (as a source for your sluggishness).

HD space isn't critical; that's good except if it wasn't it might have explained things.

Like tg1911 said, there may be more maliciousness at work even though your system was vetted by the HJT forum. I guess it's safe to say that you're up-to-date on virus protection and are employing things like Adaware and Spybot and so on?

#9 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

Thanks tg and pc.

OK, unchecked the unnecessary items on startup. When I restarted, I now get popups that windows cannot find "squares". And two more lines of squares appear in the startup list.

bo2filt.exe I cannot find when I run a search. BTW, when I run a search the windows installer microsoft office box pops up again.

No asian language system.

The following are listed in the msconfig start:

bo2filt.exe SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

squares HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Run

squares HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Load

(each squares line listed twice. One of each unchecked, one of each checked.)

When I run spybot I still get HuntBar that cannot be fixed or manually deleted.

HuntBar: Global settings (Registry key)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\BTIEIN

If I run regedit, BTIEN appears but it cannot be deleted. Last I was told was that this was harmless and not to worry about it.

VM -> I reset it to 768.

1192 temp files appears to be set to that specifically.

Thanks,
Tulip

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:07 PM

Do you have Ad-Aware installed?
If not, get it.
Then try running all of your scans (Antivirus/Spyware/Trojan) in Safe Mode:
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

Yeah, have it, I've run these programs over and over this week (in safe). :thumbsup: Once HJT was declared clean and I was sent here I didn't think to run them again. But then realized I should. I've run Adaware and it keeps picking up BTIEN as well but not deleting it. :flowers:

Also, the screen is going crazy from time to time. It looks like a very very poor resolution. If I restart, it goes away but sometimes comes back. It happens for both users and in safe and not.

Edited by Tulip, 23 June 2005 - 03:04 PM.

#12 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hi again!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Wei...tx21955-30.html

From the HJT forum
"As far as things running fast or slow, that would remain an issue for the XP forum. There si nothing that I'm seeing in any of these logs to indicate any problems with malware at this time."

The system is not doing any better. :thumbsup: It is running sooooooooo slow and this is the second time I was told by HJT forum that it's clear and to come here. The computer is very very slow on startup and extremely slow to open programs especially the browser. It's ridiculous. It switches to a funky screen at times. Mystery squares in the msconfig startup. My own hunch is that it's still infected, but what to do?

I'd really appreciate any help! Thanks!

:flowers:
Tulip

#13 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

It may be time to cut bait. Do you have the Windows XP installation CD or a similar "recovery disk" for your PC?

If you are going to go this route then be sure to also collect the Application installation CDs and back your data up!

#14 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:36 AM

Nope

#15 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:01 PM

Have you tried the windows installer cleanup utility?
I Had a similar problem and this tool fixed it.

More information here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...n-us;290301#kb2

Download it, install it, remove any programs no longer installed on your machine. And also remove microsoft office from the list.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9...1bd/msicuu2.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users