Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

I really wouldn't want to reinstall everything if I crashed. :thumbsup: I see adds for all these external storage devices and hard drives. What would I get that could use USB 2 that could back up my computer. I would want all my programs, bookmarks, files,photos and operating system. Is anyone doing this? What do you use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:17 PM

Like a external extra hd....they make 5.25 bay internal extar hd's. There good backups.
Tigerdirect.com....

#3 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

I don't want another Internal hard drive even if it is removable. I check out TG.. was at buy.com but didn't know what to get.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:12 AM

I do not have details, but you can buy a hard drive CASE that operates independently of the tower case itself, put whatever hard drive you want in it and use a firewire to USB 2 and answer your need. I have considered that option myself. Seems I saw some at a place called PC Exchange and maybe Best Buy. under $100.00.

My tower case holds 2 optical drive units, a floppy and up to four harddrives, though. So, I have 2 hard drives installed (the maximum possible) and leave a third mounted between them, unconnected. This odd man out just sits there with 50GB's of old stuff on it. Anytime I want, I can disconnect the secondary and plug the extra in. It never gets in the way, and does not cause a cooling problem. I could just as easily put it in a closet or have 74 CD-R's holding that data. :thumbsup:

BTW, there would not be a problem installing a fresh winxp on it if I didn't have the data there already. What I mean is to put an OS on it, I need a re-formated, partitioned drive to begin with. I could do that, but I of course would have to fdisk it or use a third party program like MaxBlast and wipe data in the process. I will do that, eventually, because then if I encounter big problems with my OS it would be a simple 5 minute cable (and maybe jumper change) before I was back up and running. I just haven't taken the time with other experiments and/or learning curves goin' on presently.

bottom line is you save dollars and have hardware you can use in future machines if you are willing to "crack the case" and/or have a machine that does not void any warrenties if you do so.

CGM's advice should be considered. New stuff is available all the time. Keep in mind the OS on it part of your desire, though.

Edited by phawgg, 27 August 2004 - 03:25 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:53 AM

I do not have details, but you can buy a hard drive CASE that operates independently of the tower case itself, put whatever hard drive you want in it and use a firewire to USB 2 and answer your need. I have considered that option myself. Seems I saw some at a place called PC Exchange and maybe Best Buy. under $100.00.

Thats what I was thinkin it runs off of your usb you can get the case for 30.00 on ebay and the hd its according to the size as of price. www.newegg.com. Try there......I can also give you this website..www.tigerdirect.com.........look at there hd's go to ebay and get one of those external hd's cases....You want me to post a link...or is this not what you want?

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:01 PM

CGM's advice should be considered. New stuff is available all the time. Keep in mind the OS on it part of your desire, though.

Any problem running your operating system off an external drive in a case through a USB 2 cable, CGM3?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

I dont think there would be any problems there pretty popular. Just dont knock it off on the floor! LOL

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 27 August 2004 - 12:56 PM.

#8 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Guys......I may have to do it that way. I wanted to take the easy way out and first get one of those little gizmo's (zips?). I would only have to save 5 gigs. I am beginning to question my idea of putting Xp on it as I have the cd. What I absolutely would have to copy would be my other programs. I was going to burn them but someone said the program wouldn't work if burnt. Something about burning them wouldn't get all the files. Could I burn program zips, exe to restore the programs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users