Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not recognized

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hi all,
I am helping my friend to reconnect her modem (telephone-modem, provided by her phone-company, she has received it back after supposed technical issues, so the modem is checked). She just called me to ask why she cannot connect.
I told her to look in networkconnections and it says the modem cable is unplugged.

Now the problem is as follows. She has 8 usb-ports, 2 in front and 6 in the back. I know that one of her front usb-ports is not working (trouble with pendrives etc.). She recently tried to use an usb-mouse, it didnt work, but on the one front port and even then not too well (mouse locked up etc.). She switched back to her old ps2 and that worked fine.

I have the impression that most of her usb-ports are malfunctioning due to a hardware issue. I reformatted her system a few months ago and made sure all drivers were installed, up to date, no ?'s and !'s in the device manager.

How can I check the status of her usb-ports (they are enabled in BIOS and appear in device manager) and how can I check on her motherboard if everything is connected as it should?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Front USB on some computers can be pretty picly about what will work, especially on older computers.
As for testing the ports that can be a little tricky for the previosly stated reason.
[I have 1 jump drive that won't work on some computers front USB ports but other jump drives that work with no problem]

I am a tad puzzled by the problem.
A dialup telephone modem is a device [add-in card usually] that goes inside a computer & attaches directly to a phone line.

A DSL modem is a external device that hooks to a phone line & then to the computer.
It usually uses a cable from the DSL modem to the NIC [alsoc called LAN or Network] port on the computer.
Although I have neve3r seen one connected to a USB port I suppose it is possible since cable modems can be attached to a USB port.

If it is a DSL modem that connects to a USB port have your friend try a different USB device in the rear USB ports.
When one is found that works hook the modem to it.

If a motherboard has some USB ports on the back that work & some that don't it could be simply that the faulty USB ports are physically damaged.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

The computer is two years old maybe.
Sorry I didnt explain exact about the modem.
Its a phone which picks up a wireless connection (from a mobile network) the phone has an inbuild-modem and a usb-cable that connects it to the PC. The connection is setup as dial-up with a speed of 256 kbps. I have set it up myself and contacted the telephone-company to ask about drivers. They explained no drivers are needed and it is configured correctly (it worked fine).
Anyway she has found a port that works, so its not an urgent problem now, but when I am going to visit her, I want to take a look inside and before doing so I want to know what/how to check if the ports are connected as they should to the MoBo.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

As far as the USB problem goes, have a look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation points by the USB hub controllers
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

The rear "onboard" USB ports are soldered to the motherboard,

The front USB ports will have a set of wires from the USB ports that connect to a set of pins on the motherboard.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Garmanma, I did that already (well, she did) and everything is fine
Fairjoeblue, thanks, I will check them.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users