Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please tell me Where to Find Free Driver for HP LaserJet 6L Printer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

Would any of you please help me find a reliable source of HP Printer drivers (besides the official HP site)?

I went to the official Hewett Packard (HP) website, but the driver I'm looking for (HP LaserJet 6L Printer driver) is not available (or at least not where it was supposed to be) for users to download:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=14974&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&submit.y=6&submit.x=3&lang=en&cc=us

Don't let the "download-link" fool you. I already clicked it, and it's not a download-link to the HP driver. It's a link to a program made for "HP shoppers".

The exact driver is not available for download at that address. Please tell me a site where I can get that driver for free?

Thanks for your time & patience. Please help me. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

I had a quick look and it seems this is an older product with parallel cable.
Read this article and follow the steps described there.
As I understand it HP has no drivers for this printer for XP. (It has the complete CD for Win95)
I myself did some battle with an HP scanjet a few years back and it worked after a while. If you really cannot get it to work, even after reading the article I provided you, I suggest you contact an HP-support guy (they are really good, I have positive experience with them) on the site.

Concluding, there does not exist an XP-driver for this product, but you can get it to work.

Edited by elise025, 06 May 2009 - 06:45 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

elise025, thanks for your help! I have used that HP LaserJet 6L printer on Windows XP before. The driver for that printer was pre-installed on Windows XP so I know there's a XP-compatible driver for that printer. I just need to find where it's available to download since I don't have the original XP Install CD which did not come with my computer.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

HP LaserJet 6L Printing System Drivers 1/20/97 from download.cnet.com

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Surprised there is an issue I don't have the drivers for mine, I pulled mine out of the closet after two years was tired of burning up ink cartridges. Hooked it up my XP Home machine no problem, been working great for months.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hello NewsAndHistory,

Have you tried using the HP LaserJet 6L printer driver that is distributed as part of XP?

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8440/scrn001.png

I was going to suggest this earlier, but thought you had already tried it. After seeing OldPhil's post above, I went ahead and completed the installation of the HP LaserJet 6L printer just as a test -- XP never asked for any disks; it was all automatic. And I do recall that when I installed my HP LaserJet 1200 laser printer years ago, I just used the driver supplied in XP and did not have to insert my XP disk.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

Just for giggles I went into add new hardware, if you work your way through the various screens do not add a port then select manually yours and another 10 fold HP's are there for the asking. Just click on it and go! But you will see as you move through the screens XP says to shut down and hook it up and it will be found when you reboot!

Edited by OldPhil, 06 May 2009 - 07:18 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users