Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tulip

Tulip

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:08 AM

I am running Windows XP with 2 users. I had difficulty updating windows but ultimately was able to by running regsvr32wuaueng.dll Now windows appears to be fully updated. But I cannot enable the firewall for the first user. The second user has the firewall enabled.

In the Security Center I get the error message to turn on Windows Firewall in the control panel. I go to Windows firewall and when I click on it I get the message "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings".

Thanks,
Tulip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hi Tulip, can I ask you a favor? You've posted two problems back-to-back which appear to describe the same computer and the same two users. Could you reference each user with relation to each problem... in other words, is it the user who has the problem with Outlook who also has the problem with Windows Firewall?

Also, are either account an administrator-level account and does this computer 'stand alone' or is it part of any sort of formal network?

In this specific problem (firewall) are you positive that the firewall is not enabled for the 'first user' or is it simply that the settings can't be displayed so you don't know for sure?

#3 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

Hi.

Sorry. I read the tips for posting and thought I was supposed to post problems separately. I just posted yet another. ;)

I don't know the answer. But there are 2 users, "E" and "K". If I want to go into safe mode, it gives me the options "Administrator" and "E".

"E" has the problem with the Windows Firewall. In the Security Center it says the Firewall is "Off".

"K" has the problems with MS Office.

Both are very slow.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

From Control Panel go into the User Accounts and it should display the level of 'usership' under the name. Something like "Computer Administrator", "Limited Use".

#5 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

Both users are listed as computer administrator.

#6 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:41 AM

This computer is not now part of a formal server/client network, correct? Has it been part of a corporate-type network at any time?

#7 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:44 AM

Not to my knowledge. But, it is my Uncle's computer. Should I contact him to find out?

#8 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

Might be worth it. Might also explain the Office thing as well.

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

Something to think about.

An OS Firewall (In this situation XP's) only alerts to incoming activity. So why use it. To me that makes it almost completely worthless. When one can have both outgoing and incoming activity monitored.
Posted Image

#10 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

pc, ok I'll ask.

Scarlet, I'm more curious as to WHY it won't work. With all the glitches on this system everything seems suspicious to me.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

You say that you had difficulty installing updates. Are you referring to SP 2?

If this problem started after you installed SP 2 Microsoft offers free support.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users