Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - Added Printer, but it requests .DLL on Missing Install Disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

How do you install a printer on Windows XP Professional without inserting an Install CD? My computer (Dell Laptop) has a printer connected to it through a USB plug, but I'm having trouble getting the operating system to fully-accept & recognize the printer without a XP Install CD, which supposedly has a missing .DLL file, which is required for my printer to function.

When I try adding this printer (HP LaserJet 6L) to my copy of XP Professional SP3. It still doesn't work because it's missing this .dll file: PCL5ERES.DLL. (I have that file saved on my desktop, rather than on CD). Each time I try to add that printer, I get a message/window which requests me to insert the XP Pro Install CD, which I do not have with me because this computer came with no Install CD(s).

Thanks for your kindness & help, in advance. Please assist me, in regards to this problem.

(If you would: please review the screenshots (below) & keep in mind that my printer was not completely added, even though I reached the last step in the “Add Printer Wizard”. As soon as I reached that step, I got a message requesting me to get an install CD just so I can find a missing .DLL file (PCL5ERES.DDL). Please keep in mind that my computer was bought used, and without any of it's original CDs).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NewsAndHistory, 06 May 2009 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

You state that you have the .dll file on your desktop.
When asked to insert the XP disk or copy from a different location, have you clicked OK and tried to icopy it from
the desktop file?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2009 - 07:30 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

I would simply download the latest drivers for said printer...and then install those. If it's a Dell printer, the Dell website has the drivers. If it's not a Dell, then the manufacturer of the printer has the current software/drivers.

The older/current driver files may be damaged.

Louis

#4 NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Queen-Evie & hamluis! I have visited the Hewett Packard website to find the HP LaserJet 6L driver, which would help me get my printer to work on my Dell Laptop, but it doesn't offer the driver, at all. It shows a download link to a totally different program, rather than the driver I need.

So, now I need to find an alternative website, which provides the HP LaserJet 6L printer driver. Would you please tell me if you know of any fail-safe website with drivers for HP Printers? I've had no success at Download.com or other major software review boards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users