Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office Removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tulip

Tulip

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

If I remove MS Office in Windows XP under one user because it is getting error messages requesting the installation CD (which I don't have handy), will it affect the other user that has Office installed?

Thanks,
Tulip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

Are you saying that on the same computer with MS Office installed that it works fine for one user but errors and requests the installation CD for the other?

If so my impression is that when Office was installed it was installed only for that user and not for any/all users. Furthermore and to your point, I believe that attempting to uninstall it (for the user getting error messages) WILL attempt to uninstall it entirely and probably error out again and cause problems for the first user.

#3 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

What would you suggest?

Thanks.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:32 AM

That depends on your intentions for the user for whom Office is not working correctly now. You say you wish to uninstall it but was that in order to re-install it (except you don't have the media handy)? or to save space or what exactly? Is the error message in evidence all the time the user is doing other (non-office) things or only if and when they try and launch Office? If the latter then it seems like a bit of a non-issue but if it's a true annoyance then I think you're going to need to locate the media and attempt to repair it.

Also see my reply to your other question for some possible correlation; esp. with user accounts (user, power user, admin...)

#5 Tulip

Tulip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

The "Windows Installer" for MS office message comes often. It comes when I try to search, sometimes on startup, etc.

My intention is to get rid of the error message. It doesn't matter if user "K" has office or not.

I don't want to lose the items that user "E" has saved in msoffice programs.

Thanks.

#6 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

Hmm. Can we try this? How about creating a 3rd user from scratch. Also an Administrator level. Log in as this user. Does it have any problems with Office applications... will they work at all or prompt for the CD or are the installer errors being generated?

Also, it's worth a try I guess but I think it will prompt for the Office media CD but have you tried, in Add/Remove Programs, to repair the installation (under the user who is having the problems) and then also tried to see if there is an option to 'uninstall it' for the user or for the whole machine? This could potentially be dangerous because if there is no "are you sure?" failsafe it may put wheels in motion that cannot be taken back. /gulp :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users