Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about liquid cooling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thefriesguy

thefriesguy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

okay, i'm looking to build a "from scratch" gaming computer sometime in the near future.

here's the question, as stupid as it'll probably sound.

do i need a CPU heatsink if i get a liquid cooling system, or will the liquid cooler take care of that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

"do i need a CPU heatsink if i get a liquid cooling system"

With liquid cooling the part that goes on the CPU to cool it is called a "CPU Water-Block"

If you are going to use liquid cooling always use the liquid that is made specifically for it or "100% pure distilled water"

NEVER, for any reason, under any circumstance, put tap water or any kind of undistilled water in a liquid cooling system.

Distilled water has all of the minerals removed making it nonconductive so if some gets on the components it won't short them out.

The best way to get a good liquid cooling system is to buy a liquid cooling kit .
If you google it you can find reviews to determine which you think will best suit your needs.

[fixed typo]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 06 May 2009 - 08:34 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

here's the one i'm looking at buying.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;sku=T925-2258

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Here are some reviews of it.
I read the first 3.
If you read any do the ones from 3DXtreme & Overclocker Cafe

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=...mp;aq=f&oq=
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

okay, second question. is it possible to have a CPU heatsink/fan AND a liquid colling system's waterblock at the same time?

and while i'm here i have to ask, becasue of a seemingly misleading statement about the faster bus.

is PCI faster than AGP? because i've always been told AGP was the slower bus, yet in this particular description of card types, it said AGP is the faster bus. here's the link.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1603

i feel so stupid having to ask all this, i thought i knew so much about computers, and every time i look into upgrades, i find myself having to ask yet another question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users