Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly reboots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teamflyers

teamflyers

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

I added this as a reply to an earlier discussion, but I guess I should have started my own. I am new to the site and still trying to figure it out a little. Here's what is happening with my computer:

When it reboots, I get the message about experiencing a problem and to send (or don't send) the error report to Microsoft. This has been going on for over a week but doesn't do it every time I get on. I've tried running scans (both Norton and outside sources) and it kicks me out every time I do a comprehensive one. Earlier in the week I got a Windows Error Reporting message that said "Blue screen error caused by a device or driver". I have been having problems with my CD/DVD drive for quite some time. Every once in a while it won't play a cd. I thought it just might be dirty. I tried backing up to a dvd yesterday and it wouldn't work. I tried cleaning it and it didn't help either. I also noticed the little icon to safely remove hardware shows 2 drives (one is a printer, which was always there, and the other is for the USBs or Memory slots (which are empty). I clicked it to remove and both disappeared. Now the icon shows up for the printer whenever you turn it on and goes away when you turn it off. I am pretty sure it was constantly there before. I also noticed, for the last couple of weeks, every time I went to shut down, there was almost always an update that needed to load before it would shut down, yet at no time did I ever notice that it was downloading an update. Now I'm thinking that it may have been a virus trying to get in. Any known issues similar to this?

P.S. I was on the internet almost all day yesterday without any problems. The night prior I ran ComboFix (as suggested by a friend) and it took 3 tries to complete. I thought it cleared it up, but earlier tonight, my wife was on and it kicked her off and rebooted again. I now have been on for several hours with no problems again.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teamflyers

teamflyers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Latest update to my computer:

Every once in a while it still reboots itself. Mostly when on the internet, but not always. Hasn't done it the last 2 days though. Ive ran Malwarebytes successfully, but it didn't come up with anything real significant. It kept hanging up at one point, but it finally went through and quarantined a Pinnacle\RogueRegTool file. Prior scan found some FunWebProducts spyware and they were removed. Computer has still rebooted since then, but not as frequently. I have updated the drivers, but may try to do that again. The Windows update would not appear every time, but I have since discovered it was update KB967715, which is an AutoRun disabling update that apparently has been giving everyone fits for a while. I sopposedly fixed that today, according to Microsoft's forum. The new thing that seems to be happening every once in a while is a red shield that appears upon startup saying I don't have any antivirus software (which I do and is enabled - Norton 360). I double check to make sure it was not left disabled or anything. I immediately restart the computer and that message generally disappears when it starts back up. I am still trying to figure out if it is a virus or a software issue (nothing recently added though) or one of my drives (either the DVD or USB). For the most part, everything seems to run alright, mainly just the annoyance of randomly getting booted. Any thoughts? Could the Windows update maybe have had something to do with it? Haven't tried any outside virus scans the last few days, but they would always reboot the last time I tried. My Norton scan sometimes wouldn't go through either. It did remove a Trojan.Wimad file, but that didn't correct anything at that point but it seemed to get better when the Malwarebytes quarantined the Pinnacle file. I did not delete that yet since I really wasn't sure if that was really needed by the Pinnacle program or not. I rarely if ever use it so I guess it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and delete it. I can always reinstall later if needed. If anyone has come across these issues, please let me know. Thanks!

Edited by teamflyers, 12 May 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

The symptoms you describe could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis. If you're not finding any malware then its sounds like one of the latter problems.

Note: Some video cards can generate such intense heat while playing games with high quality graphics that they require a separate cooling system. If the fan fails after wear and tear with age, the video processor will not be far behind and your system may start crashing..

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt.
Follow these Instructions for scanning with Dr.WebCureIt in "safe mode" after running ATF-Cleaner.
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scan in normal mode. Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply.

Please post the results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users