Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not shut down and will not update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 akjim777

akjim777

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

My laptop will not shut down. When I click shut down, the desk top icons disappear and hangs there for up to 5 or more minutes. It goes to the blue logging off screen and just stays there. I've left it there for the entire day and came home and its still there. I was told that this was a registry problem, and downloaded a trash free scan which gave me a virus. Did a clean install from the OS disk. Still won't shut down and now it won't update either. I've been to the "Am I Infected" forum and got a clean bill of health.
My laptop is a Gateway m-6846, vista home premium 64/32 bit with sp1( 64 bit in this case).
I would be grateful for any help I can get. I'm fairly new to computers, so if there is any other info needed....
Thanks akjim777

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

When it hangs, are you able to right-click on the Taskbar and bring up Task Manager or use Cntl+Alt+Delete to open it?
If yes, does it show what is not responding?
It could also be your video driver. Try replacing updating that
Look in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation points or red X's Also check the Event Viewer for errors that might be related

Please download and run Process Explorer

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Under file and save as, create a log and post here

copy and paste into a reply
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

Here is the file you wanted, I think. The " Standard VGA graphics adapter" has a yellow exclamation, say code 10 cannot start. The video controller has code 28. Not sure how to proceed. Thanks alot for your help, Jim

Process PID CPU Description Company Name
System Idle Process 0 94.62
Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
DPCs n/a 0.77 Deferred Procedure Calls
System 4 1.54
smss.exe 452 Windows Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 524 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
wininit.exe 560 Windows Start-Up Application Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 616 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 820 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
mobsync.exe 2872 Microsoft Sync Center Microsoft Corporation
ehmsas.exe 3220 Media Center Media Status Aggregator Service Microsoft Corporation
WmiPrvSE.exe 3916 WMI Provider Host Microsoft Corporation
WmiPrvSE.exe 3448 WMI Provider Host Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 880 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1020 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
audiodg.exe 464 Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 312 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
WUDFHost.exe 1240 Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process Microsoft Corporation
dwm.exe 2400 Desktop Window Manager Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 324 0.77 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
taskeng.exe 2240 Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation
taskeng.exe 2504 Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation
wsqmcons.exe 3984 Windows SQM Consolidator Microsoft Corporation
SLsvc.exe 488 Microsoft Software Licensing Service Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 568 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1096 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
spoolsv.exe 1372 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1396 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
lxddserv.exe 1648 Lexmark Connect Service Executable Lexmark International, Inc.
lxddcoms.exe 1740 Printer Communication System
ccSvcHst.exe 1764 Symantec Service Framework Symantec Corporation
ccSvcHst.exe 2644 2.31 Symantec Service Framework Symantec Corporation
svchost.exe 1824 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1840 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1868 Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
SearchIndexer.exe 1900 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Microsoft Corporation
TrustedInstaller.exe 3852 Windows Modules Installer Microsoft Corporation
lsass.exe 628 Local Security Authority Process Microsoft Corporation
lsm.exe 636 Local Session Manager Service Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 580 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 708 Windows Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe 2440 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
lxddmon.exe 388 Device Monitor
lxddamon.exe 3120 Device Monitor Application
ehtray.exe 3128 Media Center Tray Applet Microsoft Corporation
ieuser.exe 3620 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
iexplore.exe 3636 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
procexp.exe 2620 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
procexp64.exe 3372 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Edited by akjim777, 06 May 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

That log looks good

The " Standard VGA graphics adapter" has a yellow exclamation, say code 10 cannot start. The video controller has code 28. Not sure how to proceed.

This is more than likely the problem. Corrupt or faulty drivers can do this
This is the correct one for your laptop. Next to the download link, is a link on how to install
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=231859497

Edited by garmanma, 07 May 2009 - 04:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

Okay, I installed the driver and then had to do a hard start as computer still will not restart or shut down on its own. This what I got when the Computer came back on line.

"igfxtray window: igfxtray.exe-bad image"

"c:\windows\System32\igfxress.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.
Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator
or the software vendor for support."

However, when I went to the device manager, I no longer have the yellow exclamation marks. Also my graphics are much improved as far as clarity is concerned. Should I uninstall the driver and try install again?

Thanks Jim

Edited by akjim777, 07 May 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

igfxtray.exe is from the Intel video driver
Perhaps it was corrupted during the download
Download a fresh one and try again. Make sure that there is nothing else running when you do this
Doing it in safe mode is even better
Mark
Posted Image

#7 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Okay, that solved the driver issue and I Thank You Sir!!
Now can we tackle the Shutdown/restart issue and the windows update issue. The computer still just gets to the logging off screen and stays there. The round blue icon is still spinning, so I'm assuming(there's that word) that the computer is fighting with something. As far as the windows updates go, it's stuck at "checking for updates". I downloaded Explorer 8 to see if my computer just didn't like microsoft, but it loaded just fine. Thanks Jim

*I should note that these problems started with the computer not shutting down. Add to that my own lack of knowledge and here I am!!! The upside is that I always learn something when I visit this site. Thanks again

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

When it hangs at shutdown, can you bring up Task Manager and see what process is not responding?
Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Another thing to try is to boot into Safe mode. Try to shut down from there and let me know what happens
Mark
Posted Image

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me intergecting... :huh:

Try as Garmanma suggested...

When it hangs at shutdown, can you bring up Task Manager and see what process is not responding?
Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Another thing to try is to boot into Safe mode. Try to shut down from there and let me know what happens

If Safe Mode is not OK, then you may have a hardware or disk problem. Run the diagnostics package that came with your computer. It may be the Video card itself, rather than the driver, for example.

If Safe Mode corrects the issue, then try this next, after booting into normal mode:

1) Click Start Button, then Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes.
2) Click the Services tab and place a tick next to: "Hide all Microsoft Services" (near the lower left). Then select Disable All
3) Now go to the Startup tab and select Disable All.
4) Click Apply, then OK. If you get a warning from any security app, like a Firewall that warns you that certain services or items are being prevented from starting up, please Allow it.
5) Reboot the computer.
It will boot quickly and you'll notice that several apps & services will not be available.
WARNING Do NOT browse the internet or download email as your firewall, antivirus, etc. will not be protecting you.

Try and shut down your computer to see if it shuts down normally. If it DOES, then there is an issue with a non-responding service or application. If so, respond back for further instructions.

If this does NOT correct the issue, then type msconfig again, select Normal Startup , then Apply, then OK. Reboot to get all your regular startup and services back to where they were.

Tell me, do you have a Firewall installed (other than the Windows firewall)? Which antivirus are you running.

Please post back:
a) The results per Garmanma's instructions.
:huh: The results per MSCONFIG
c) Which antivirus and firewall you are running.

Cheers.
:huh:

#10 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:58 AM

The thrill of Victory, the agony of defeat. Gateway has agreed to do complete overhaul for the price of my shipping the laptop to them. After allowing mssupport remote access and them running every check they could think of, they put me into a conference call with Gateway and it was decided that it is a hardware issue. There is a lesson here for me at least, Always Buy The Extended Plan. If it can be FUBAR, I can do it!!! (If you need me to define "FUBAR", ask someone who has been in the military.) I would like to Thank You for your help. Thank You. Just the process of your directed troubleshooting has educated me :huh: . Again Thank You, Jim

#11 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

Gateway has agreed to do complete overhaul for the price of my shipping the laptop to them. After allowing mssupport remote access and them running every check they could think of, they put me into a conference call with Gateway and it was decided that it is a hardware issue.

Wow! That's pretty impressive customer service. :huh:
Unfortunately, examples like this don't happen very often.

Glad that the issue is being "solved". Congratulations, and happy computing! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users