Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing various distros (=hardware?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wiltshirejohn

wiltshirejohn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:31 AM

I have re-partitioned my HDD leaving about 10GB available for Linux. (I have to keep the rest for Windoze, already dual booted 98/XP).

I reboot with the Linux install CD in the reader and it starts loading. After the preliminaries - 'which language' etc. the loader seems to throw a wobbly saying it can't find the install disc in the cd reader (having just read from it!).

I get similar error messages when trying Mandrake 10, Fedora and Ubuntu.

This makes me wonder if it's a hardware problem.

Any clues would be much appreciated.

wiltshirejohn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

Are you setting your BIOS boot order to boot from the CD?

#3 wiltshirejohn

wiltshirejohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:22 AM

Yes, it's booting from cdrom. That's what I meant by "After the preliminaries - 'which language' etc. "
These are the preliminaries performed by each distro. prior to the main installation.

I have also reconfigured the hardware so that the hdd and the cdrom are master and slave on the
same ide bus as I seem to remember a problem with an early version of windoze where, part way
through the boot process, it would fail recognize the second ide controller.

Regards - wiltshirejohn.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

It's always a good idea to check your distro's home page for hardware requirements. Hardware has always been a linux bugaboo. For instance, it's only recently that linux would recognize Winmodems. I learned a long time ago that a Standard Modem was a lot better deal anyway, since they don't steal processor cycles or system resources to do the simple job of modeming. I've been pretty lucky with the hardware I've had, except for a video card that I could not force any distro to recognize, though it works fine in Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users