Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Login Loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JustFly87

JustFly87

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Here's my dilemma:

I use a Toshiba Satellite A105 Laptop/Computer

I recently decided to clean out my computer using some well-known Anti-Virus software including:

*AVG 8.5
*MalwareBytes
*SuperAntiSpyware
*Hijack This

After running these, I discovered large quantities of unwanted ad/spyware on my computer which was removed. AVG alone found over 1,000 threats in a full scan! It could be all the games/movies I download from Utorrent. >_<

Anyways, after all the scans completed, AVG asked to reboot my computer to finish the virus removal. I accepted. But after rebooting the login screen was no longer blue with my only Account showing my picture and password entry, but now had a black background and a box displaying Administrator and password login. I use my normal password and it accepts it que-ing the Windows login sound. It then shows my background for three seconds, no desktop items or anything, then you hear the log off sound which returns you to the black screen Administrator and password login.

>_<

What I have tried:

F8 at Startup.

Booting in ALL other modes results in:

A) Blue screen of death

or

:thumbsup: Login Loop (even in safemode)

I DO NOT have my original recovery discs or Windows XP install disc.

Am I out of luck here, or is there some magical way to save my computers dying self.

Thanks for reading ^_^

Edit: I apoligize in advance if my post leaves out information or is already a posted issue in another post. I'm not very computer savvy so cut me some slack por favor =)

Edited by JustFly87, 05 May 2009 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JustFly87

JustFly87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Anyone?

#3 JustFly87

JustFly87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

bump for help =)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

IMO...that system needs a clean install.

The problem is not just the malware that you have found and removed...the fact is that the malware and/or removal of same...may have resulted in damaged system files which may be incapable of proper repair (since the extent and what files is unknown).

That's my thought...

Louis

#5 JustFly87

JustFly87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

IMO...that system needs a clean install.

The problem is not just the malware that you have found and removed...the fact is that the malware and/or removal of same...may have resulted in damaged system files which may be incapable of proper repair (since the extent and what files is unknown).

That's my thought...

Louis

Thanks for the response ^_^

So a clean install. That could be a problem for me considering i have no windows xp or toshiba recovery disc, are you aware of any place I may download and properly install these?

Thanks for the help!

-Justin

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

http://www.blurtit.com/q396785.html

I searched the Toshiba site (briefly) for info on obtaining such from them, but I did not find anything other than a general statement that recovery CDs ship with the unit.

I would call Toshiba support and inquire by phone...before trying a different source.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=T...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#7 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

I have seen logon logoff loops after spyware removal, a lot of times it is due to the userinit.exe being infected and/or removed by the scans. If you can slave the HDD to a working pc, try to copy the good pc's userinit.exe to the non working drive in its proper place (in your windows/system32). This may also be the case with the winlogon.exe file, so if the userinit dosent work, try it with the winlogon.

This can also be done by copying the files from a working pc to a flash drive, then using a boot CD on your system to copy said files

Edited by tenz, 08 May 2009 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users