Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive, can't get OS to install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wolfinternus

wolfinternus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

Wasn't really quite sure if this would go into internal hardware or programs or whichever, my apologies if I've put it in the wrong spot.

I recently replaced the HD in my Gateway ML6720 laptop. I've done this once before last year, and had absolutely no problems reinstalling the OS.

Whether the OS disk is in or out of the drive, I continue to recieve the same message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03 (070618)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found.

We tried hooking up the ethernet cable to see if that would help; the message was a slightly different one, but the result was the same.

Any help/ideas/input would be greatly appreciated, because we are quite stuck. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Check your BIOS boot options.

That first message usually indicates that the system is set to boot from a network, rather than the hard drive on which XP is installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users