Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file size 4609 regardless of contents

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Paintbrush

Paintbrush

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

For sme time now I've been chasing a phantom on my system. Lack of "how to has slowed me, and this site has already been an incredible help. Here goes. I'm using an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium.
My daughters mp3 player started misbehaving, so I figure there is something in here that doesn't belong. MBAM and SAS have repeatedly come up clean. I've been using Midnight Commander from a bootable Knoppix 5.1.1 disk to have a look inside things. First thing I noticed was the file sizes don't match the actual contents. Most of the folder sizes ar either 0 or 4096 even if it is an empty folder.
Using Midnight Commander to open some of the files I find [grow] in the (navigation?) bar on the right side, after the word RIGHT. This will be there one day, and somewhere else the next. Moving or copying changes the file - it does what it threatens to do. These critters are all over, but mostly in .doc .exe and .jpeg files. I uploaded one of these to Virus.Org and it came back clean. Using the F3 key to close my view I sometimes get the following warning

/tmp/mc-knoppix/mcextUzHNEc:line2:antiword:command not found
/tmp/mc-knoppix/mcextUzHNEc:line2:catdoc:command not found
/tmp/mc-knoppix/mcextUzHNEc:line2:word2x:command not found

I have a creepy feeling that this is not good, but I don't have a clue as to what I should do next. (I had some screenshots from Midnight Commander but don't know how to put them where they will do some good -here). If anywone has seen any of this stuff before, I would really love to here from you. Heck, at this point even sympathy is great. Thanks,

Paintbrush.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users