Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Weird Behavior

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Windows XP, a Sony Vaio laptop not more than 1.5 years old (Intel Dual Core, etc.). Mostly use Firefox browser, but also Safari and IE, on occasion.

For about a month now, I'm being awakened in the early morning hours by the sound of the computer 'running' or 'ramping up'. Like the fan is on high. When I open the lid and open task manager, I see that many of the processes (almost all of them) are pulling down about four times what they usually show from the central processor. Let's say under 'normal' circumstances a process might use up 5,490 KB of hte CP, but shows 23,000KB at 6AM. ALL of the processes look like that at 6AM. I don't get it.

I have a VIPRE (Counterspy Anti-Spy and Anti-Virus) scan scheduled for 1AM. I run AdAware when the mood strikes, usually every few days. I uninstalled SpyBot after reading reviews and concluding it was too ineffective in its current iteration. I have Windows updates set to automatic. I download all security updates when asked to do so by Hewlett Packard (for printer), Adobe Flash, etc. Other than VIPRE, I have nothing scheduled for 6AM. Even if I did, why would that make all the processes 'ramp up' like that?

Once it starts, the only way I can get this beast to stop is to shut it off, which I do. Then, when I turn it back on, the processes look normal again. The other thing I notice, is that when I reboot the computer, I get a warning message that 'no firewall is turned on' for a brief few seconds. Then the warning goes away as the computer reboots. I checked the settings and a firewall IS turned on, of course.

Question: Is someone else using my computer at that hour? I looked at the start=up menu and saw a remote assistance icon. I checked properties under 'my computer' to ensure that the 'allow remote assistance' settings are unchecked, and they are.

Any ideas on what to look for? Maybe I should 'turn off' the computer every night, instead of letting it go into hibernate. I don't like to do that because of hte extra time it takes to boot up again in the morning. Plus I believe I was told at one time that that wasn't necessarily 'good' for the computer (to shut it off every night).

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MikewSunbelt

MikewSunbelt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hi Anonix,

We ran across your post and wanted to see if we could help. The Vipre scan should long be over by 6:00am if it started at 1:00am. Although VIPRE is very easy on system resources during a scan, they still can cause a computer to react slower during the time it is scanning.

When you wake your computer look at the VIPRE icon in the system tray (down by the time on your desktop), If this green VIPRE is still scanning.

It may be a good idea to contact our support at Sunbelt directly at support@sunbelt-software.com one of our techs can make sure that VIPRE is set up correctly.

Mike W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users