Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Logon - User Name or Password error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stitchup

stitchup

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi guys,

This might be a difficult one to explain, but I'll do my best.

Okay, a client of mine used to have a network on a domain but about a year ago, they installed a new network and did away with the domain and just used a simple workgroup with one PC desiganted as a file depository.

The network consists of about 20 PC's most of which are running Windows XP Pro. Not all PC's require access to the shared drive on the file depository PC - I'll call it a server from now on. The PCs that require access to the shared drive are on the same workgroup XYZ, the remainder are on the default WORKGROUP.

Today, I was asked by one user if I could map the shared server drive onto their PC. This PC is an old one running Windows 2000 and logs onto a DOMAIN called ABC with a username CHRIS & a password PASSWORD. This in itself is rather strange as the ABC domain doesn't exist so I can't understand what's happening here!

Anyway, I decide to change from the domain ABC to the workgroup XYZ. I do this by right-clicking My Computer, choosing Properties and then Change (I think). I click on Workgroup and type in XYZ. The PC requests a restart and upon re-booting and pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon, the username CHRIS is already in the User field and we type the password PASSWORD, click OK and an error appears informing us the username and/or password are incorrect! We know they are correct as the lady who uses this PC daily knows so!!

Anyway, we can't logon at all! So I decide to reverse the operation and go back to a DOMAIN logon. I right-click My Computer and attempts to change back to a DOMAIN logon. I type in the DOMAIN ABC but now I get the error that the domain doesn't exist!! I try several times, but no joy at all.

So now I can't logo at all. I finally manage to logon to the Workgroup with the user name administrator but of course the user CHRIS has lost her personal setting and Outlook Express data.

So, I now feel like a right numpty and setup a few links and programs so she can continue working while logged on as an administrator.

I guess my best option would be to create a new user and somehow retrieve the Outlook Express data, question is, how can I get the OE6 data into the OE6 being used by the newly created user?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

This PC is an old one running Windows 2000 and logs onto a DOMAIN called ABC with a username CHRIS & a password PASSWORD. This in itself is rather strange as the ABC domain doesn't exist so I can't understand what's happening here!

when using domains you have the option to cache user accounts which would allow this pc to still "seem" to log into the ABC domain (although it wasn't authenticating to anything) but once you removed the pc from that domain this cache was cleared.

Anyway, I decide to change from the domain ABC to the workgroup XYZ. I do this by right-clicking My Computer, choosing Properties and then Change (I think). I click on Workgroup and type in XYZ. The PC requests a restart and upon re-booting and pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon, the username CHRIS is already in the User field and we type the password PASSWORD, click OK and an error appears informing us the username and/or password are incorrect! We know they are correct as the lady who uses this PC daily knows so!!

here the pc is expecting a local user, which is why you could still log in as the admin. create a new user as you suggested

Anyway, we can't logon at all! So I decide to reverse the operation and go back to a DOMAIN logon. I right-click My Computer and attempts to change back to a DOMAIN logon. I type in the DOMAIN ABC but now I get the error that the domain doesn't exist!! I try several times, but no joy at all.

So now I can't logo at all. I finally manage to logon to the Workgroup with the user name administrator but of course the user CHRIS has lost her personal setting and Outlook Express data.

So, I now feel like a right numpty and setup a few links and programs so she can continue working while logged on as an administrator.

I guess my best option would be to create a new user and somehow retrieve the Outlook Express data, question is, how can I get the OE6 data into the OE6 being used by the newly created user?

if i remember correctly OE has a export/import option that will actually include the account setup information as well as emails. you might be able to copy the old user profile to your newly created local user profile (this is hit or miss) for this you'll need to go into the system properties, advanced, then user profiles

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

John

hope this helps.....
Posted Image

#3 stitchup

stitchup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Cheers

John

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

Another option is to manually add the old files to the new OE folders. Rather than type all the out I have included a link to a site which has outlined where they are.

http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

After moving the files you will need to setup the e-mail address and servers associated here. You may also have to go into the setting of OE and associated the account with the address book you moved over as well so she hass access to her address book.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users