Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Uses a lot of Resources at Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

Hi,
I've been experiencing this problem that when starting up my P.C my computer crunches a lot for a good 2-3 mins (which is a long time for a computer and sends me crazy).

Comodo seems to be the problem because when this service is disabled the problems stop.

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled and the problem seems to go away for maybe a week or some other time span, then it starts again.

Any idea on what is causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

This could be one of your problems with Comodo---Comodo Trust Toolbar
See if it is listed in your addons or Add/Remove program

How to tell if your PC has been infected by a Adware such as Comodo Trust Toolbar?

Slow PC Performance: Most of Adware is not optimized and coded very poorly, which causes your system to become unstable, slow and unreliable, as such Adware is constantly running in the background.

Numerous undesirable and annoying pop-ups: A typical Adware parasite keeps track of your internet browsing habits, sending your browsing history data to remote servers, owned by third party companies that use this information to advertise their products via numerous pop-ups, toolbars, hijacked homepages and spam letters. All these undesirable advertising methods are used on the victims of Adware.

Slow internet connection: Adware is constantly using your internet connection to send your private information to remote servers, as well as receive ads and pop-ups from third party servers, which causes much slower internet connection speed and stability.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:47 AM

This could be one of your problems with Comodo---Comodo Trust Toolbar
See if it is listed in your addons or Add/Remove program

How to tell if your PC has been infected by a Adware such as Comodo Trust Toolbar?

Slow PC Performance: Most of Adware is not optimized and coded very poorly, which causes your system to become unstable, slow and unreliable, as such Adware is constantly running in the background.

Numerous undesirable and annoying pop-ups: A typical Adware parasite keeps track of your internet browsing habits, sending your browsing history data to remote servers, owned by third party companies that use this information to advertise their products via numerous pop-ups, toolbars, hijacked homepages and spam letters. All these undesirable advertising methods are used on the victims of Adware.

Slow internet connection: Adware is constantly using your internet connection to send your private information to remote servers, as well as receive ads and pop-ups from third party servers, which causes much slower internet connection speed and stability.

The post above is complete nonsense and shows how long dead rumours can still spread malicious gossip!
http://forums.comodo.com/trusttoolbar_disc...you-t521.0.html
(if you read through the topic do not visit scanspyware.net as WOT shows it as a virus site)

JJ2K can you please give the details of the program you have the problem with? Comodo have many different types of programs.

Edited by JamesFrance, 06 May 2009 - 03:58 AM.

James

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

Also look for "Safe Surf" and "Ask Toolbar". If in the Add/Remove list you can uninstall those, too.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

Also look for "Safe Surf" and "Ask Toolbar". If in the Add/Remove list you can uninstall those, too.

Of course you can, but how does that help with the problem being asked about?
James

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

I don't have any toolbars installed thankfully,

I have Comodo Internet Security installed, which is both the Firewall + Anti Vir..

What are the tasks that Comodo would perform at startup, I can see it tries to update the Anti Vir Database, but what else?

I've gone down the route of pretty much disabling everything at startup apart from Comodo to find out that it is the problem.

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

No toolbars for me either, do you have CIS 3.8 or 3.9 RC2?.

It is unusual to get high resource usage from CIS.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users