Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Disk Image To New HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

My ten-year old HD is slowly failing... Every now and then it does not start spinning during boot up and I have to (lightly) bang on the chassis in order to get it going! I squirted a drop or two of machine oil on the spinning gear but that did not solve anything...

So, I was thinking about imaging the old HD, uninstall it, install a new HD, and transfer the image to the new HD.

Questions:
1) Will I be able to do that with a new HD which most certainly will not be the same brand, model, or capacity of the old one?
2) My PC also has a slave HD that I use for storage and thus does not have any OS installed on it. Would the image transfer to the new HD cause problems with this secondary HD? (Perhaps problems with the boot records...)

I am on dial-up and I am not looking forward to re-installing Windows XP SP2 on the new HD from fresh, downloading SP3 and .NET 3.5 SP1 (the two combined would take days to download!), all the numerous security fixes post-SP3, IE8, WMP11, etc. etc. etc. That is why I would prefer to find a way to image the old HD and transfer everything to the new one.

Anyhow, I am not much of an expert on all this and hope to get some tips from the experts on this forum. How would you handle this situation? (Beside chunking the old computer and buying a new one!)

I now have Windows XP Professional SP3 installed and the PC has a Pentium III 800 MHz with 1.5 GB of RAM. The motherboard has IDE ports only. Access to the Internet is via dial-up, if that matters.

Thanks.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

In order to image a drive to disks you would need a program like Norton Ghost or Acronis true image.
Neither are free.

I would use XXClone.
A small utility that you download & install that is free.
XXClone will copy your old drive to the new one.
The only things I've ever had a problem with after cloning is AVG anti-virus & AOL.
[I uninstall both before cloning now]

XXClone here,

http://www.xxclone.com/xxclone.zip

Online manual here,

http://www.xxclone.com/ixcman00.htm

It's pretty easy to use.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hard drives may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer...but they all meet the same specs for performance in a PC.

The only thing to watch out for today...ensure that you do not get a SATA (newer, faster) drive when your system can only accommodate a PATA drive. Each manufacturer makes both, sometimes giving them the same model number. The key is to just look at the connectors on the drive and the connectors on your system, the cables/connections are very dissimilar.

One hard drive has no direct bearing on another...they are individual components of the system. A dead/troubled drive can prevent the system from booting, etc. but many things can do that.

Louis

#4 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

In order to image a drive to disks you would need a program like Norton Ghost or Acronis true image.
Neither are free.

I would use XXClone.
A small utility that you download & install that is free.
XXClone will copy your old drive to the new one.
The only things I've ever had a problem with after cloning is AVG anti-virus & AOL.
[I uninstall both before cloning now]

XXClone here,

http://www.xxclone.com/xxclone.zip

Online manual here,

http://www.xxclone.com/ixcman00.htm

It's pretty easy to use.

Thanks for your reply. This XXClone really looks good for the purpose I have in mind!

To be honest, I have never installed a new HD and so let me ask a few questions that might perhaps sound a little silly:
1) Does a brand-new HD come already factory formatted? (I suspect it does not...)
2) Can XXClone format and partition a new HD?
3) The target volume would have to be a formatted and partitioned HD that is temporarily installed as a slave drive? (The idea being that after XXClone has finished, the new HD becomes the master and the old HD gets discarded. Is that how it works, or do I have to find a way to install XXClone on both new and old HDs? I am really inexperienced at all this...)

Thanks.
--
tb

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

You have a older unit with a IDE HD & XP so the directions I post will be for that.

Set the jumper on the back of the new HD to Slave
Remove the installed Slave drive & install the new one in it's place
Start XP & go to My Computer to see if the new drive is shown
If so right click on it & on the menu click Format
Format the drive to the NTFS file system.

If the new drive doesn't show go to the Control Panel
Double click Administrative Tools
Double click Computer Management
Under Storage click on Disk Management
All drives in the computer should show up
In the bottom box click on the new drive [probably D]
In the white box with the lines to the right of the drive listing right click & on the menu click Format
Format the drive to the NTFS file system

Close out back to the desktop
Open XXClone
On the first page that opens make sure the Source volume is C & the target volume is the new HD
Make sure there is a dot in the circle by "Back up the entire volume by copying all the files from scratch [ /backup1]
Click on Cool Tools
Click on Make Bootable
Where it says Boot Control put checkmarks in all 3 boxes
Click Start
You will be asked if you're sure , click yes, Ok, [can't remember exact word but proceed]
When that is done go back to Operation mode
Click on Start
You will be asked if you're sure , click yes, Ok, [can't remember exact word but proceed]

After the cloning is finshed turn off the computer & unplug it
Remove the new drive & set the jumper to Master
Remove the old Master drive & install the new drive in it's place
Install the old Slave drive
Start the computer
If all went right your new drive should boot to the desktop. :flowers:

Put your old Master drive away for a backup. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

You have a older unit with a IDE HD & XP so the directions I post will be for that.

Set the jumper on the back of the new HD to Slave
Remove the installed Slave drive & install the new one in it's place
Start XP & go to My Computer to see if the new drive is shown
If so right click on it & on the menu click Format
Format the drive to the NTFS file system.

If the new drive doesn't show go to the Control Panel
Double click Administrative Tools
Double click Computer Management
Under Storage click on Disk Management
All drives in the computer should show up
In the bottom box click on the new drive [probably D]
In the white box with the lines to the right of the drive listing right click & on the menu click Format
Format the drive to the NTFS file system

Close out back to the desktop
Open XXClone
On the first page that opens make sure the Source volume is C & the target volume is the new HD
Make sure there is a dot in the circle by "Back up the entire volume by copying all the files from scratch [ /backup1]
Click on Cool Tools
Click on Make Bootable
Where it says Boot Control put checkmarks in all 3 boxes
Click Start
When that is done go back to Operation mode
Click on Start

After the cloning is finshed turn off the computer & unplug it
Remove the new drive & set the jumper to Master
Remove the old Master drive & install the new drive in it's place
Install the old Slave drive
Start the computer
If all went right your new drive should boot to the desktop. :flowers:

Put your old Master drive away for a backup. :thumbsup:

Thank you for having taken the time to give me such detailed, clear instructions! I will replace the HD in the next few days. I now feel confident that I understand the process.
Thanks again!
--
tb

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

You're welcome.

I'm fairly certain I got it all right .
I posted the instructions from memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users