Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in a Reboot loop, please help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 h-owens

h-owens

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I am stuck in a Reboot loop and I need some help if someone can. I have as much info as I could get based on my reading so here goes nothing!

HP Pavillion
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service pack 3
Installed on C:
partitioned for the HP_recovery (G: Drive)

---I have tried to repair using the HP disc with the operating system on it, the only option that it will give me is to format which I have not done.

---I also have a hard drive enclosure which I have placed the HDD in and tried to access from two other computers. It shows F:local disk and G:HP_recovery. I tried accessing the F: local disk and it give the following message--- F: is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Next stop - Recovery console.
---This is what confuses me. As said earlier, my operating system is on C drive. When asking me what drive I wanted to run Recovery Console on, I was given these two options:
1 D:\MiniNT
2 F:\Windows

Hard drive tests ok as tested by the short and long test in the BIOS

---I have ran CHKDSK /p and /r (on the F: drive several times(never found any problems so it never claimed to repair anything) I ran it on the D:\ MiniNT and it found errors and fixed them.
---Tried FIXMBR (re-wrote successfully)
---I have not tried FIXBOOT because I haven't had enough time to read to make sure there aren't any harm that can be done, (plus I don't know which drive to tell it, Please see above under the part where I started writing about RC)

BSOD
---I got the blue screen of death while in the reboot cycle and here is what it said when I finally got it to stop rebooting automatically

STOP: 0X00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8734DEF0, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

Is it possible to make an image of the hard drive with a program and possibly use something called Ghost Explorer? I don't have a problem with formatting and re-installing, as long as I can retrieve my pictures and files. That is my main concern. If someone can help me do that, I am willing to just format and start over.

I've searched and found nothing. I have really really tried dearching for hours before coming here and literally begging for you guys and gals help. If someone finds something I didn't, I appologize, but I have searched to the point where i don't know what to do next. Any advice that you can provide would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I am truly a believer in backing up now...little late for that huh?

Edited by h-owens, 05 May 2009 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi there h-owens!

I have spent an hour or so researching this issue as one of my interests happens to be win xp stop errors. After reading many pages of text the best info I have found seems to corroborate the following:

Stop 0x00000024 NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

In newer versions of Windows, this error message almost always points to either corrupted system files on an NTFS volume or to bad blocks on the hard drive. In either case, I recommend running the chkdsk tool with the /F switch to correct the error. Although chkdsk can repair many types of disk errors, you may end up having to reinstall the latest Windows service pack so that system files are overwritten with clean versions.

Which if any Service packs have you installed? If you are able to set a "System Restore point" please do so and then try uninstalling your latest service pack and then attempt to re-install it once again the idea being to refresh those files contained in your latest service pack.

If you have SP 2 installed but haven't yet installed SP 3 then try installing SP 3

Go to your recovery console once again and attempt chckdsk/F and see what happens going that route.

One thing I'm fairly certain of with error code 0X00000024 this is related to some type of corruption within your NTFS File System.

In my own personal experience the few times I have gotten BSOD on any of my confusers only once was I able to fix the problem by exchanging a PCI card (Modem) on two other occasions it was necessary for me to reformat/ re-install my operating system.

If you have any further questions related to what I have written here please don't hesitate to ask. Please try these few suggestions and let us know the outcome.

In the meantime someone might come along with a heckuva lot more knowledge than I.

Hope this helps,

ranger72 :thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#3 h-owens

h-owens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Ranger,
Unfortunately, there is no getting into the Operating system to find restore points. I did have several I'm sure as I had used them before the HDD crash. Last known good configuration only leads back to a reboot like every other option other than Recovery Console. Thanks for the help. If anyone else wants to chime in, I would really welcome it!

#4 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

have you actually tried to chckdsk/f? I noted some confusion in your post about what it does.

If you can, try running that or have you already done that and its possible that I am the one who is confused. :thumbsup:

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi h-owens,
This sounds similar to some recent problems I've had. I had the reboot loop a few weeks ago and the computer couldn't see the C drive when I went in with the xp cd. I tried using a boot disk then (PE Builder) and finally gave up and turned the computer off and went to bed. The next morning it booted up. The bootloop only occured once, but the disappearing C drive occured twice. Both times, I was able to tease it back into existence using a boot cd. I did find a program on my computer called hidec.exe, which may or may not be related to combofix, but I don't know if there was any connection between this program and the inability to see the c drive. I did finally get the computer back both times, so I could copy most of my data. In most cases System Restore solves a lot of problems for me, but not in this case. I lost permissions from my administrative account, lost my internet connection and decided it was not a simple malware problem, but probably a combination of several things caused by several different actions, one of which may have been getting a wrong driver on the computer. Can you borrow a boot cd from someone?
Zllio

#6 h-owens

h-owens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hey Ranger,
I did run chkdsk on the f drive. I didn't exactly state that very clearly reading back. When It gave me a choice on which windows installation I chose the F: drive and ran chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r from there. I aslo did the same thing on the d: drive as well. I may be confused...the chkdsk /f may be a command that I overlooked. Please advise and thanks for your help.

Zllio,
My boot loop is like the movie Groundhog Day. It has never stopped. I haven't been lucky enough to get to the point where I can get any of my data out, If that is even possible. I am running recovery console from an HP boot CD. Thanks for the info!

Do either of you know a way to steal the data off of the HDD? I'm willing to spend the time doing that in the even it can't be repaired without formatting. Thanks again guys.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Chkdsk /p (run from the Recovery Console) is the same as running chkdsk /f from within XP.

Chkdsk /r is more exhaustive than either/both...and includes either/both. Chkdsk /r performs the additional function of attempting to recover file data from bad sectors on the hard drive/partition.

Chkdsk p and chkdsk f Commands - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/articles/x...commandline.htm

How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Louis

#8 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

Am i understanding you correctly? you cannot in any way access your operating system in a normal fashion and have you run the recovery console in this fashion as described in this BC tutorial?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

#9 h-owens

h-owens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

Ok, that helps me understand chkdsk better now. Thanks hamluis!
Ranger, You are correct, I cannot access my OS at all. I am stuck in a boot loop unless I run RC from the HP recovery disk. No more Windows on here. Thanks for sticking with me on this one...I need all the help i can get.
Thanks guys!

#10 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

Do you have the necessary recovery disk which would allow you to do a clean re-install of Windows on your hard drive?

I am at the end of my own circle of knowledge on this issue and I can only speak for myself here but If I had done everything you have done so far, and I have carefully read all the links provided by me and Louis and Zllio and none of this were helping at all then I would be reformatting my hard drive and then popping my recovery disk in to my optical drive to start the clean re-install.

There are disk recovery applications available some of which are very good but are also expensive which may allow you to recover your data and if you decide to that route Please insure that you don't reformat your hard drive until you have explored that possibility.

But a Clean re-install would be my personal decision in this matter.

Perhaps the others have an opinion on this?

ranger72 :thumbsup:

Edited by ranger72, 05 May 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

My own experience with NTFS errors...is that I tried various prospective "cures" and wound up deleting the partition and doing a clean install.

I backup routinely so doing this causes me no inconvenience.

Louis

#12 h-owens

h-owens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

ok guys, through another chkdsk on a diffferent part, and a whole lot of luck, I'm back into my operating system. I am trying to back my stuff up to DVD and it isn't letting me write to it. It gve me an error when copying the files to the writeable drive. Any Ideas?

#13 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:40 AM

ok guys, through another chkdsk on a diffferent part, and a whole lot of luck, I'm back into my operating system. I am trying to back my stuff up to DVD and it isn't letting me write to it. It gve me an error when copying the files to the writeable drive. Any Ideas?

Hi h-owens,
This sounds so much like what I went through. Can you back them up onto a flash drive? Can you slave your drive into another computer and access the data from that computer? Do you have a separate primary partition that you can back the data up to?
Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 06 May 2009 - 04:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users