Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstalling windows xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 runswithscissors

runswithscissors

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:18 AM

A friend brought her computer to me and asked me to see if I could get it working. It had windows xp but when it booted up the operating system wouldn't load properly. She did not have the original installation disks.
Since the computer is going to be in the family room for the kids, she told me it was okay to install windows 2000, which I did. It's working fine but the old windows xp files are still on the hard drive under "windows" and of course 2000 installed to "winnt". Also, while booting up I get the screen with the option to boot to xp or to 2000 and I have like, 30 seconds to choose and so on.

I would like to avoid that option screen and I would like to get the windows xp files off the hard drive. Everything I've seen says to uninstall however, I can't find where xp is installed. Following instructions to start in safe mode, go to add/remove programs, and uninstall xp is a dead end because xp is not in the list of installed programs???

I tried osuninst.exe from the command prompt and received this error:

"osuninst.exe Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point createactctyw could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll."

I'm at a loss.
Any help is appreciated.

Kathline

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

I haven't ever used Win 2000 (and probably never will) but you can easily remove an old operating system from the boot menu.

Since I wasn't sure about Win 2K I'd follow these instructions:

All you do is right click on my computer, select the advanced tab, click on startup and recovery, and at the top it should say system startup. Choose the OS you want from the pulldown menu and uncheck the Display list option, hit ok and you are set. Easy way to do this for users afraid of editing system files.

from here

I'm pretty sure if you're booted into another OS you can just delete the old OS files?

Casey

P.S. I don't really think this is the best option - Win 2K is getting too old and will soon be unsupported.Ref

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 albert galick

albert galick

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

If it's just for the kids, why not wipe the drive and start over, just installing Win2K? Or see if the manufacturer has an XP restore disk available for a nominal fee (I once got one for an Acer laptop for about $35)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users