Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Release Candidate goes public today!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

This week Microsoft announced that a Release Candidate version of Windows 7 had become available for subscribers of MSDN and TechNet for testing. Today, Windows 7 goes global, with availability for anyone who wants to take this sleek new version of Windows for a ride.Today, May 5th 2009, Microsoft will make the Release Candidate available for download from the Windows 7 site linked below to anyone who wants to test it. This version is a full-featured edition, similar to the Ultimate version of Windows Vista. Some of the major changes and new features include:

• Prompting whenever the User Account Control level is changed. There were quite a few blog posts in the past about how not being notified when UAC is changed can be a security risk. Whether or not this aspect of UAC was changed because of these posts, I leave up to you.

• NO MORE AUTORUN FOR NON-OPTICAL DRIVES! This is a big one for security nuts as autorun will no longer be enabled for devices such as external hard drives and USB drives, but only for optical media such as DVDs and CDs. This is a huge security hole that has now been eliminated and should severely reduce the spread of removable media infections.

• More functionality in Thumbnail Overflow Lists. These lists are created when you have significant amounts of windows of the same program open. Now these lists allow you to close windows directly from the list or get sneak peeks of the window by hovering your mouse over one.

• Further optimization of Windows Touch and Gestures. A gesture guide can be seen below:

• Refinements and modifications to Windows Media Player features. These include the new Now Playing mini-player that shows the current song and its album art, support for most .MOV files created by digital cameras, and a new significant enhancement called Remote Media Streaming. Remote Media Streaming allows you to access your digital library over the Internet from any other Windows 7 based computer outside of the home. We will provide more information about this feature in later articles.

• Windows XP Mode is a downloadable add-on that allows you to run older Windows XP files that do not run properly in Windows 7. It does this by creating a virtual PC running the Windows XP operating system. Using this Virtual PC, you can now launch any legacy Windows XP applications. Even nicer is the fact that the running XP program will appear as a normal program running from your Windows 7 desktop, rather than one running in a Virtual Machine. I will be providing in-depth coverage of this feature and how to use it in the near future.

All-in-all there are a lot of new, exciting, and fun features in the Windows 7 Release Candidate and I hope to bring you in-depth coverage of them in the near future. So stay tuned for some more articles coming soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

Whoosh - now I have to get another lappy so I can play too.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

It is available now to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

#4 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Beautiful, but look at this:

Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Not surprised...this is a trial/beta..not a free copy :thumbsup:

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

Besides from the new few extras is this a critical download for beta testers. I hate formatting and reinstalling.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

I dont know if its critical unless you want to play with the new toys and possibly receive better performance.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:24 AM

Will give it a shot this weekend :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

@Sneakycyber

You can update without reformatting if you like. It requires a simple edit of a config file.

Steps:
1) Copy the ISO to your hard drive (which presumably since you downloaded it, it is already there).
2) Open the 'sources' directory, and find a file called 'cversion'. Change the line MinClient = 7077.0 to MinClient = 7000.0, then save it. Then just run the update from the image on your hard drive.

Why you shouldn't do this: Since this is a release candidate, Microsoft is still testing installation on as many configurations as possible. By bypassing the full setup. you are not allowing for the opportunity to test a clean install with your particular configuration. There is also a chance that this may not work, but has worked on two of my systems so far. The reason that I elected to go the upgrade route is that it takes me weeks to get my systems all completely reconfigured and all of my development stuff reinstalled.

#10 Maria2009

Maria2009

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

@Sneakycyber

You can update without reformatting if you like. It requires a simple edit of a config file.

Steps:
1) Copy the ISO to your hard drive (which presumably since you downloaded it, it is already there).
2) Open the 'sources' directory, and find a file called 'cversion'. Change the line MinClient = 7077.0 to MinClient = 7000.0, then save it. Then just run the update from the image on your hard drive.

Why you shouldn't do this: Since this is a release candidate, Microsoft is still testing installation on as many configurations as possible. By bypassing the full setup. you are not allowing for the opportunity to test a clean install with your particular configuration. There is also a chance that this may not work, but has worked on two of my systems so far. The reason that I elected to go the upgrade route is that it takes me weeks to get my systems all completely reconfigured and all of my development stuff reinstalled.

I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.
me too, I need more detailed info

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto

Edited by Maria2009, 05 August 2009 - 08:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users