Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1TB iomega external not recognized by my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cjb2m5

cjb2m5

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

i just bought an Iomega 1 TB external hard drive from amazon
took it out of the box, hooked it up to my dell laptop (windows XP)
everything was fine
transferred my itunes library to my external (whole reason for buying it)
then i hooked up the external to an old emac i have (runs OS X 10.3)
i was going to try and get all of my itunes music off of that computer and put all the music i had on my external
when i hooked it up to the emac i opened the disk utility cause it wasnt letting me put any files on my external
i inadvertently hit a wrong key and formatted the external for macs
all of a sudden, my dell laptop wont even recognize my external is even there
my mac does, but id rather my laptop
in the process of doing all of this i also lost my itunes library that was on the external
i can get that back because my music was also on my ipod
but how can i get my dell laptop to recognize my external like it was doing before i screwed it up by hooking it up to my emac?

any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

Type this short cut hold down your windows key and press the ® key this will open the run box and type diskmgmt.msc. With your external drive connected find it listed in disk management. You will need to reformat and re-initialize the drive so windows can recognise it. If you have the installation software that came with the drive you can use that instead. Basically windows sees the drive as unformated since it doesn't recognise the file system.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users