Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick advice needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan92

Spartan92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

hello everyone. im new to this computer world thing so please ignore my stupidity. im more of a xbox guy.
anyways my birthday is coming up in june and my dad wants to buy me a gaming pc. since he's dummer than me in these things, he wants me to pick the pc.
so here i am. he says his budget is just about 750. and thats for pc + screen. i already have the mouse and keyboard.
any recommendations?
keep in mind i plan on being a hardcore gamer so i would really like to get the most bang for the buck. also im getting a job soon so i will be able to afford new upgrades, which means i would need a computer that allows for upgrades. any links or recommendations would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

In order to get the most bang for your buck, you should build the PC yourself. It's fun and educational, besides, you know exactly what goes into the PC which means you have greater control over quality. Below is a suggested hardware configuration. The below hardware configuration is more expensive than $750, but once the mail-in rebates are applied, you will be close to the budget.

AMD AM3-based system, this is cutting edge but more expensive than AM2/AM2+models.

Case: Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - You need a full-ATX case to hold some of the larger graphics cards. A mid-ATX case will work too, but won't have as much upgrade potential. $74.99 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: ECS BLACK SERIES A790GXM-AD3 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - This is a very new motherboard, it will use the latest AMD processors and will allow for Crossfire. $109 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - This is one of the newer AM3 processors, there are two other Phenom II X4 AM3 processors that are much faster, but this is still a very good processor. $169

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Only recently, this was AMD's top single card. This card will run most games very well and will Crossfire with other AMD cards. Crossfire will allow you to combine two or more cards into a much more powerful graphics system. $174 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W - This power supply will handle this computer nicely, however, if you want to use Crossfire, you would want a much more powerful unit. $49 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is plenty of RAM for your PC. Your motherboard can handle far more than 4GB of RAM, which you can expand into later. $59

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB - Plenty of space at a low cost. $64

Optical Drive: Sony Combo SATA Drive - This drive will handle most optical discs. $23

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $99

Total Cost: $828
After Rebates: $768

AMD AM2/AM2+ System, if you want to save more cash up front but want a less powerful system, this is for you.
The parts from the above configuration remain the same, with the following exceptions.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - This motherboard is a good choice, price wise. It allows for Crossfire and the use of AM3 processors, but you will not gain any benefit from DDR3 since this is a DDR2 motherboard. $89

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - This is DDR2 RAM with the exact same capacity as the DDR3 RAM above. $47

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz - You can reuse the processor from the above AM3 configuration or you can save a little money with this processor. This is a triple core processor at a slightly higher clockspeed. $145

Total Cost: $771
After Rebates: $721

Edited by DJBPace07, 05 May 2009 - 05:34 PM.

3939.png

#3 Spartan92

Spartan92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

wow thank you very much DJBPace07. that was very helpful. i already looked up a how to build tutorial and ill talk to my dad about it.
the only thing is that the budget included the screen but ill try to work on that. would you happen to know if there are any cheap decent monitors?

Edited by Spartan92, 05 May 2009 - 05:39 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

The word affordable is relative, depending on the size of the monitor. $750 is a good price for the tower, if you factor in a monitor into that price, the PC will be very underpowered. Below is some suggestions for monitors.

All of the monitors will do 780p, but not all will do 1080p high definition.

LG W1952TQ-TF Black 19" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 10000:1DCR with HDCP Support - $139
LG L227WTG-PF Black 22" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 10000:1DCR with HDCP Support - $219
ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - Has HDMI and can do 1080p. $239
BenQ G2400WD Black 24" 5ms, 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DC 4000:1(1000:1) - I own one of these, like the Asus it has HDMI and can do 1080p. $359

3939.png

#5 prophel91

prophel91

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

Yea I'm just going to buy the alienware. I would have no idea how to bud my own once I get all the parts, I'm not as experienced as you guys. Thank you guys for all your help. I'll post a pic up once I get it if you guys want.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

If you're going to buy retail, you will not get as much for your money. Also, Alienware is essentially rebranded Dell's. I've purchased PC's from Velocity Micro and Maingear and have had excellent results. Building a computer is easy with some research beforehand.

3939.png

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

A viable alternative to building your own:

Check with a few REPUTABLE computer shops in your area. Tell them what YOU want. Do your research. Make a list of your requirements.
Find out how much it would cost to have one built for you.
Ask about the warranty-how long is it for, what's covered.

Compare the prices to what it would cost for you to build it yourself. Then decide which option you want to pursue.

Print out the list DJBPace mentioned-you can use that as a guide. You can tell them you want a certain type of processor (AMD), what size power supply, etc.

If possible, write down what they tell you, then post back here if you have any questions about anything the tech tells you.

I'm on my 2nd custom system-both built by my tech to my specifications. I actually ended up with really good systems that cost less than a comparable off-the-shelf system.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2009 - 11:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users