Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need XP discs to reformat & reinstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mwarrior

mwarrior

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

HP Media Center pc m7350n bought in Oct 2006

My aunt is a single Mom with teens, so I offered to help fix her computer. After running a HJT log, Adware, AVG, and Malwarebytes (not updated since the computer is not hooked up to the internet currently), I found problems that include a win 32 variant and vundo. The malware has disabled all help and the recovery section (BSOD). My aunt doesn't have the original windows cd (never did). I believe this is an authentic windows installation since she bought it at Conn's. We want to reformat and reinstall XP, but how can we do that? We have a serial number that looks like it might be her cd key number (wrote on her computer paperwork when she got the computer). I have searched microsoft, and I called. The recording said to go to the original builder. HP says the recovery disk is not available, and they want $40 just to talk to a rep to ask how to get a disc to reinstall (not recovery cd). The recovery cd wouldn't get rid of the malware in the way that a reformat and reinstall would,anyway. Is that right?

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

To find the CD key in your computer you can use anyone of these apps.
magicaljellybean
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
SIW free
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mwarrior

mwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:36 AM

I got the key through that first site. Thanks so much! Through microsoft's forums I found restoredisks.com, and I ordered a restore disk ($27) for her computer. I am not familiar with the wording. Is recovery disk, restore disk, and installation disk basically all the same thing? Will I be able to reformat the drive (this is a first for me) and reinstall XP with any of those? If those are not the same thing, is there one method that should be used for this computer since it had such bad malware on it? I want to hand it back to her CLEAN with all the must have software already installed (ZoneAlarm, AVG, Malwarebytes, Firefox, etc.). Thanks for your help!

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:59 AM

There is a number on that website for customer service, did you call them and ask about what you can do with the disk?

If not, I would do that.

#5 mwarrior

mwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:00 AM

I emailed them. Regardless of this restoe disk that I bought, I would like to know about the recovery disks that I see. I saw the recovery console on the machine and recovery disks on the hp site. Is this the same as the installation cd that will ask me about partitioning (so I can actually wipe the computer clean) before installing windows? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users