Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just installed XP...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

Ok so I was able to install XP on my new HD, but I did it diffrently than the norm. I just inserted my installation disc and activated the system recovery so it formated and installed Windows on its own (factory defaults).

My problem now is theres no sound, just beeping. The screen resolution only goes as high as 1024x ***, but it used to go to 1280x800 and whenever you move a window around it blinks instead of just sliding over normally.

Is all this because I didnt install it manually? I wouldnt think so. Iv read I need drivers for the sound but my PC never came with driver CDs but besides that what could be causing the problems with the screen res and blinking? Theres no internet installed on it. When I get it can I just download drivers? Anyway like I said, still doesnt explain the other two problems. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

Yes you should have collected all the current drivers for audio, video, and any connected peripherals such as printers and scanners. Then once the OS was installed, you would have installed the drivers.

If this is a Name Brand manufacturer such as Dell, Lenovo or HP. You should be able to go to the website for the drivers and look under the model number. As far as peripheral drivers, check the device manufacturer's websites.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

Yes you should have collected all the current drivers for audio, video, and any connected peripherals such as printers and scanners. Then once the OS was installed, you would have installed the drivers.

If this is a Name Brand manufacturer such as Dell, Lenovo or HP. You should be able to go to the website for the drivers and look under the model number. As far as peripheral drivers, check the device manufacturer's websites.

Its a Gateway laptop. I use the built speakers, I dont use any external ones. So once I get the drivers the problems with the screen res and blinking will fix too? All I have to do is get online and download them?

Oh, my sister has a Gateway driver cd but Im guessing it wouldnt work since its older and hers is a Desktop (the computer Im using to type this actually)

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

I would give that disk your sister has a try, worse that can happen is it won't work. You can also download the drivers onto a cd or flash drive using the computer you are on now and then put them on your computer from that

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

I would give that disk your sister has a try, worse that can happen is it won't work. You can also download the drivers onto a cd or flash drive using the computer you are on now and then put them on your computer from that

Ok, so the drivers should fix the resolution and blinking, aswell as the sound, too?

From all drivers I found on Gateway.com for my model I didnt see any that have to do with resolution except maybe a video driver, but Im assuming thats just for playing videos not the screen and monitor.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

The correct video driver should correct the problems you are having with the way things appear on screen and the correct audio driver should correct the problem with your sound.

If the computer you have is the same model number as the model number for the one at this page.....

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Blade/6096nv.shtml

Then all of the drivers for your computer should be on this page....

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...&param=6096

The video driver is the last one in the list and the sound one is the third one from bottom

Edited by Stang777, 05 May 2009 - 12:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users