Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

Could you give me a simple step by step instruction how to install Windows 7 on the D: driv partition, while keeping Windows XP on the C: drive partition?

I know this is probably very simple, but I would like to see it step by step what do I need to do first, second, and third to get it right.

Thank you.

---
My PC:
- Windows XP Home
- 2 GB RAM
- C: and D: partition

Edited by patbox, 04 May 2009 - 06:28 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:12 AM

Here’s a link to the download instructions for Windows 7 RC. You should be able to get all the info you need there, but if you have any other specific problems, let me know.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...structions.aspx

Also, here are instructions for backing up your PC: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/pc-backup.aspx.

Lastly, here are instructions for setting up a dual-boot system: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...2749fe1033.mspx.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

Already to point 1 is bothering me:

1. Turn on the computer running your current edition of Windows, and then insert the installation disc into the computer's CD or DVD drive

--- You can NOT install a dual-boot system from the C:\ drive? I have a netbook, and thus I do not have a CD or DVD drive. So I tho, maybe I could download Windows 7 on C:\ drive and install it on D:\....
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

I doubt that Windows 7 would run very well on a netbook, though I could be wrong.

#5 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

I think Windows 7 Starter is going on netbooks, but I'm pretty sure you can't install it from the RC disk.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#6 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

1. Turn on the computer running your current edition of Windows, and then insert the installation disc into the computer's CD or DVD drive

--- You can NOT install a dual-boot system from the C:\ drive? I have a netbook, and thus I do not have a CD or DVD drive. So I tho, maybe I could download Windows 7 on C:\ drive and install it on D:\....

Hm, wouldnt it be possible to "mount" the .ISO file (which you download) by creating a virtual drive? You could use an program like Deamon tools for this. Deamon Tools creates an virtual drive, and lets you "mount" the .ISO file into the drive you've created. Once you done that, I think you should be able to install Windows 7 from the drive you just created. This would save you a empty DVD and would be an solution.

Please note: I have not done this, I just thought this might be the solution.

Let us know if you succeeded. :huh:

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#7 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

I doubt that Windows 7 would run very well on a netbook, though I could be wrong.

There's been lots of people using Win7 on their netbooks, but again, you're going to have to have some good RAM in there and more-than-often an external drive.

Here's a link to a ZDNet article about one guy's experience: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4249.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users