Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc or repair install?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbwallis

rbwallis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hello again. Well, I'm still working on getting the malware/virus/whatever out of my system. According to Avast, many of my System32 files are infected. Right now I'm running XPSP1. The disk I have is previous to SP1. If I want to replace the bad files, would sfc /scannow help, or should I go right to repair install?

Thanks, Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

Hi, there is no point try the above fixes first you must remove the infections. Try using Malwarebytes and superanti-spyware.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
http://www.superantispyware.com/
MCP
MSDST

#3 rbwallis

rbwallis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned I did all that. Now I want to get everything where it's supposed to be.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Theoretically...running sfc /scannow and doing a repair install...will each result in replacement of mssing/corrupt system files.

But a repair install, IMO, is probably better since I believe that it may also correct system settings which may be awry.

Given the choice between the two...I would opt for a repair install, followed by immediate installation of all critical updates (some of which will have been removed by the repair install).

Neither of these attempts will overcome malware or hardware situations which contribute to the problem.

Louis

#5 rbwallis

rbwallis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Thanks to both of you. So far, I have updated Avast, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, and run MBM. I will run the other two to get all of the bad stuff quarantined. As angry as I get at MS sometimes, I'm glad they came up with sfc, dllcache, and the i386 folder!

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users