Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM installation Dell Dimension 8100

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oldrnhistory

oldrnhistory

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

My old Dell Dimension 8100 is getting so slow that I can keep up with it. It needs a RAM upgrade.
My Dell has four memory slots, two with Topshiba-manufactured metal-encased components and two with The Dell label and no components. All of the 1GB upgrade kits that I find on the web are 256x4 and look like the Toshiba cards I already have. I will need to replace the two Dell cards with the Toshiba-style cards to get to 1GB. Will my Dell work with the Dell cards removed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Your Dimension 8100 uses "RDRAM" AKA "Rambus" memory.

RDRAM must be installed in matched pairs to work.

" two with Topshiba-manufactured metal-encased components and two with The Dell label and no components. All of the 1GB upgrade kits that I find on the web are 256x4 and look like the Toshiba cards I already have. I will need to replace the two Dell cards with the Toshiba-style cards to get to 1GB. Will my Dell work with the Dell cards removed? "

You can use all 4 memory slots as long as the memory is installed in matched sets.
You don't have to replace the 2 already installed.
All you need is 2 of the same.
[ PC800 RDRAM 45ns ]

You need 2 X 256MB = 512MB .

BTW, Rambus memory is probably the most expensive memory you can buy.

"I will need to replace the two Dell cards"

If you have 2 "blank" cards in memory slots those are "cotinuity" cards.
They are neccessary to complete the memory circuit when the slots they are in don't have memory installed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 oldrnhistory

oldrnhistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Joe,
Your explanation was dead on! It should have been obvious even to me that a card with lots of plated-thru holes but no components was a continuity/jumper/extender card. Many thanks. Now,
if I can just remember where I put my car keys.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users