Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ARPANET - First tests 35 years ago led to Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:32 PM

Some neat reading today from the Internet Storm Center :thumbsup:

ARPANET - First experimentations 35 years ago (09/02/1969)
http://isc.sans.org//diary.php?date=2004-08-26

The Prototype Still Works After nearly 35 years of continuous service (the first node on the ARPANET was connected on September 2nd, 1969 - anybody throwing a party one week from today?) the experimental prototype network still works. I say "prototype" in reference to a quote that I heard a friend of mine say at DARPA a few years ago concerning the Internet, "Perhaps now it is time to quit experimenting with the prototype and build the real thing." How true! Especially when you consider that today's Internet is largely built on protocols developed in the 1970s. As I tell my students in various SANS classes, we've got to start thinking toward the future and push hard for secure replacements for all of the Internet protocols, including infamous ones like TCP/IP. In 35 years when the 'net is 70, will we still be using SMTP, FTP, telnet, and countless other "ancient" protocols?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:41 PM

Wow we sure have come a long way
I remember one of my first pc's an 8088 with a ten meg hard drive back then that was huge I ran three bbs's from that with a 1200 baud modem

Computers and such way back when chaeck out the pics get a laugh
Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:36 AM

Glad this thread wasn't closed, I just now saw it.
Seeing where we have come from and where we are now, all I can say is "WOW".
The earlier versions of the computer remind me of watching old movies where the airport control tower is shown from the inside or really old NASA-type movies. Because someone (Phawgg I believe) asked about how Windows progressed in a previous thread elsewhere, it's kinda neat to tie in the computer types as well.
My only gripe, however small it may be, is that we still had the 'laydown' computers rather than all these 'towers'. They were a nice space saver, lol.
Thank you Harry for bringing this to our attention, although I missed it for awhile.

~67~

#4 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

Some fascinating reading there!

Wow we sure have come a long way
I remember one of my first pc's an 8088 with a ten meg hard drive back then that was huge I ran three bbs's from that with a 1200 baud modem

Computers and such way back when check out the pics get a laugh

A good link!!

Yes we sure have come along way BUT NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!

Im sure back in 1970 they didnt ever think all these scams,hackers,etc would be online trying to hurt people!! -- Its really very sad.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users