Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home dual boot help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juss

juss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

okay, so my mom has a dual boot PC (windows XP and Ubuntu) and she has decided she doesn't want Ubuntu anymore. i've read a few places online how to uninstall Ubuntu and how to delete the GRUB bootloader that it came with...but i have a problem.

for some reason, she can't find her XP disc anywhere. all the solutions online all have me, after deleting the linux partitions, booting from the XP disc into recovery console and deleting GRUB that way. is there any other way for me to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

If Linux is still on the machine boot it and look for a 512 byte file with a name like MBR or MBRSave something like that. Depending on the boot loader, it may save the MBR before installing itself. If you find that file then a search online should show how to restore it.

If that's not the case you might have to resort to something like MBRFix.

See this page:
http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-boot-r...lilo-fixmbr.php

If none of that works, ask here
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

they are the masters of all things PC Bootable!

Edited by MilesAhead, 04 May 2009 - 03:22 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

You can download the XP recovery console from here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/boot.../xp_rec_con.zip

Burn the ISO file (how to burn ISO files to a CD) to a CD and boot from it. Then you can use the recovery console like you would from a complete installation CD.

#4 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

Also if you have a USB stick those guys at Bootland can show you how to make it boot the Windows on your HD. IOW, while the boot manager is still there, make this USB boot stick.
If your attempt to fix the mbr fails, you can still get into Windows.

fixmbr from the recovery console doesn't always work, mainly because it doesn't overwrite the partition table. If that's what's hosed, it doesn't get fixed.

Always better to copy the original MBR back on if you can.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users