Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

when is the best time to buy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dragon18007

dragon18007

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hey all

Im thinking about buying a new gaming PC and have been checking out some sites for custom builds as Im not going to build it myself but when is the best time to get one, it probably wont be for another few months anyway.

I know that new things come out all the time but is there any major upgrades that I should wait for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

The way new computer parts are released tradition is that if you buy a spiffy new "cutting edge" computer by the time you get it hooked up it's "obsolete" .

Decide what you want & go for it!

If you are a oline gamer you can have the fastest computer in the world & it's still only going to be as fast as your connection anyhow.

Find the newest version of the game you play & base your choice on the game requirements.
If you meet or exceed the recommended requirements you should be good to go for quite awhile.

Also, since you are going "custom built" be sure to get a motherboard that allows upgrading.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Spartan92

Spartan92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

what do you mean by a motherboard that allows upgrading?
what should one look for?

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

"what do you mean by a motherboard that allows upgrading?
what should one look for? "

Make sure the motherboard has at least 1 PCI-E 2.0 so you can upgrade to newer video cards later.

A motherboard that uses DDR3 memory would be nice but even with DDR2 make sure it can handle pleanty of memory so you can upgrade later if you want.

What I'm getting at is since you are looking at a new "gaming PC" make sure you are getting the newest technology you can afford.

If you are on a budget you are better off getting a lesser video card, memory, & even CPU & getting a really good motherboard that you can upgrade as you go.

The 2 components that are critical to a good unit are the power supply & motherboard.
Everything in a computer connects to , & depends on, the power supply one way or another.
You want a good ,strong, brand name power supply.
If you have a good motherboard you can add to it [as I said] here & there instead of having to have a lot of $ all at once.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Spartan92

Spartan92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

ohhh ok i get it! thank you fairjoeblue!

#6 K.O

K.O

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

Good luck on finding your comp. BTW, there isn't any major upgrades that I have heard of.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Given the economic climate, anytime between now and back-to-school would be a prudent time to buy a computer. If you are on a budget, avoid the latest and greatest gizmos and buy the hardware that has just been supplanted by the newest models, similar to buying last year's model of a new car.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users