Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KeePass

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

I thought I had it installed! Well I couldn't get it to work. So I removed it and reinstalled it. The 1.6 version. Well when I finished it said follows prompts. Which I did. It started asking me if I wanted this or that. I really never said Installed. So is this the way it works? It got to one page and it wouldn't let you skip it So I closed tab. So is it installed and working? I don't see Icon or any thing. I want to know if you have to do all of this and whether it is working, or not???
:thumbsup: :flowers:

Thank You David Crockett Sr

I have a couple of other question but will post in another title.
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

I have no idea on this
They do have a support forum for Keepass at sourceforge
http://apps.sourceforge.net/phpbb/f5bbutil/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Hi Davey, as I posted HERE, you somehow managed to get a fake copy of KeePass. Besides the fact that KeePass has no commercial connections at all, there is no version 1.6. The latest stable release is 1.15 and the beta is at 2.07.

How did you find the site you used? For security tools it is better not to use search engines.The bad guys can craft their sites in ways that will make them come up as sponsored links or otherwise appear to be what you are looking for but aren't. Always click on links in this forum as we will only link to official sites and is why I posted a link when I recommended KeePass to you. Here it is again--did the site you went to look anything like this--->Hi, I'm the official KeePass website

You may in fact have an altered hosts file or DNS redirection. To make sure you are seeing the same site--I don't have time ATM to show a screenshot--after you click the link above, answer me this question: Does the page begin with "KeePass 1.15 available!"? Then does it describe the release of 1.15 and just below that--"Changes from 1.14 to 1.15:".

Whatever you have installed, please uninstall it. Look for its icon in Add/Remove programs. If you can't find it, let me know. We need to take this in baby steps.

Also, if you can go back to the page where you downloaded whatever is trying to pass as KeePass, please post a link to it here. To be on the safe side, substitute hxxp for http. If you aren't sure how to do something, let me know--I'm not sure what your skill level is, but I can work with all of them.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

"PapaKid" It looks like the site, you show. But don't ask me how I got there. I did a search on Bleeping computers. and it showed up and I clicked on it. I down loaded it and then all the questions started... I'll delete it. If it has a icon I'll let you know. Okay? I deleted it a few minutes ago! No icon!
I'll make sure it comes from your site.
I want to say I'm sorry I did not remember, about dealing with you on this. I apologize to you. I screwed up, when I first got on this site. I wound up with two user names. So I can do a search with one name and not get stuff I know I posted. And use other name and not get a thing, knowing I had a post on it!!!!
I'm sorry you are getting emails on me!. I try to figure out where to post and I screw up Sorry....

Thank You David Crockett Sr :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by DaveyCS, 05 May 2009 - 06:43 PM.

Davey Crockett Sr

#5 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

"Papakid" I told a fib!!! The site I went doesn't look like your site. But I did do the search on Bleeping Computers....

Davey Crockett Sr

#6 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

I guess I did it right this time!!! I Hope???? I have a blue lock in quick launch tool bar. Is this correct? It asked about plug ins. I have no idea about that, and will wait till you tell me okay?

Davey Crockett Sr

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

OK, I'm having a hard time keeping up with you. I begin wirting and something changes. First please don't apologize to me about the email notices--I think you misunderstand--I want them and have my account set up to get them. This way I know when someone has posted to a topic I am subscribed to--and I have it set so that I can read the new post in the email and don't have to come on the forum to know what is going on. This might be a good way for you to keep up with your topics. Click on My Controls to enable email notices or see topics you are subscribed to.

BC doesn't host that download, so if you searched BC, you maybe found a link that was bad. Or you have been infected but it is no longer redirecting you--is Norton still on the blink?--have you run your computer without an anitvirus being active for any length of time and for any reason? I'm trying to figure out if we should take a closer look at your system to make sure it isn't infected, but that is complicated and time consuming, especially if it isn't needed.
Do you remember the exact name of the program you deleted/uninstalled that didn't have an icon? I was going to ask to see a list of programs you have installed. May still need it, but will give instructions on how to do that later.

Sounds like you have the right KeePass now--what does it ask you about plug-ins? I'm a version or two behind and know they've changed the plugin architecture. But I would say for now decline to install plugins if that's all it's asking and move on. You get basic functionality without plugins--the only one I tried to install was automatic backup--which I couldn't get to work correctly, but it isn't absolutely necessary either if you backup your database file with your other backups.

The first thing to do after installing is to Enter a master password. While learning the program, I suggest something simple like "test". Once you get important passwords in there you need to change it to a strong password.

The second tip on initial install is to create a "record"--user name and password, etc., and it doesn't have to be to anything real (you can delete this later) and then save your database file. Go to File>>Save, give the file a name (I believe MyDatabase is entered by default) and save it somewhere where you can remember.

Will get back to you later on other stuff--may not be tonight. Had a rough day today.

The thing about people

is they change

#8 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

I have upgraded to Norton 360 3.0V, to try for now it was free. So I thought I'd Give it a whirl. I didn't plug in any thing. But when I did install Keepass it asked me if I wanted to replace it. I said yes. So It did. I didn't put any plug ins in.I'll let you walk me through that part. any Get it started. as far about emails being sent to me, on what I post. I have it checked to send me emails. But for some strange reason I don't get them all the time. I didn't get one on this reply. Would it be a good idea to run adware, or something like that now?
I did a scan and it didn't show any thing.
The program was called keepass!!!! It showed a little planet like thing. Like Saturn. A blue dot and a Ring around it. But not on desk top. Just where I un installed it.I didn't take any offers any way. I just said no and clicked out. If this helps!!! No I just feel like a dumb A** when it comes to computers. Other things, no problem.

Thanks For Your Help. David Crockett Sr :thumbsup: :flowers:

Davey Crockett Sr

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Good morning Davey,

I believe I have figured out what happened. I will explain later, but I want you to do something for me that will pretty much confirm my suspicions. Just to let you know, I don't think you have any serious malware installed, so before you run anything like Ad-Aware, please do the following:

Click START, then Run. If you are on Vista, press the Ctrl and R keys at the same time to bring up the Run box. Copy the following bold text, paste it into the Run box and hit the Enter key:

regedit /e c:\regfile.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Freeze.com"

This will create the following small file in the root folder of your hard drive:

regfile.txt

Post back the contents of this file. If you don't know where the root folder is, click My Computer, then double click the hard drive icon that Windows is installed on--for most people this is C--and is also usually referred to as local disk.

I understand completely about computers making one feel dumb, especially when it's all new to you. Unfortunately there are a lot of computer users that will make you feel dumb too--somehow makes them feel superior to everyone else. Well, we all were ignorant about computers at one time or another--we just need to gain the knowledge to eventually correct that. BC is here for people of all levels of knowledge to learn and we try not to make you feel stupid. Just don't be ashamed to ask something because you think everybody else knows how to do it. For example, if you have never copied and pasted the contents of a Notepad file before, like I've asked you to do above, just ask and I'll be happy to explain how.

On emails, yes, the forum software is glitchy in this regard--it is not unusual for notices to not get sent, or sometimes delayed for a long time. The system works well most of the time and is something we just have to live with.

I'll post back after I've one some more digging around and I have some items of my own to take care of this morning.

The thing about people

is they change

#10 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

Papakid I have XP. I can copy and paste all that it shows on C drive for you. All I got to come up was a file, called reg file.

Thank You For Your Time And Patience !!!!

David Crockett Sr :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by DaveyCS, 06 May 2009 - 05:54 PM.

Davey Crockett Sr

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

OK, Davey, you're doing good. Regfile is what I want to see. Does it not say regfile.txt? If not it just means you haven't configured Windows to show file extensions. It is better to show extensions from a security standpoint so that you can learn to tell potentially dangerous files from those that aren't. Let's do that now if you haven't already--here's how.

Click My Computer, click Tools and then Folder Options. Click on the View tab and the click in the box to put a checkmark next to Hide extensions for known file types and then click OK.

Don't need to see all of the C drive. :thumbsup: Just the contents of the regfile.txt file. So just double-click on regfile.txt and it will open in Notepad. There should only be a few lines of text. Ctrl plus the A key will Select All that text so that you can then Copy and paste it into you next reply.

Or if the file is empty just let me know that.

Edited by Papakid, 06 May 2009 - 07:29 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

#12 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

Papakid Here's what it says:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Freeze.com]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Freeze.com\Installer]
"id"="{C4ADAB9C-7801-4398-AE21-37822A6EEC6E}"

This is all it has! It doesn't have the following regfile.txt . Just Regfile. That box was already checked.

Let me know what is up. I've got to go to bed for work. LE doesn't have set hours sometimes.

Thank You David crockett Sr :thumbsup: :flowers:

Davey Crockett Sr

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

OK, Davy, that is just what I expected to see in that file. It confirms what I suspect happened.

There is actually two official websites where KeePass can be downloaded--and my apologies for not checking the other one earlier. The other site is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/

Acrtually this is the original site, as KeePass is a SourceForge project and the developer of KeePass started his own website once KeePass was well established. SourceForge is a place for software developers of open source solutions get together and work on or show each other their open source projects. More on open source in a bit, but there is a description of Sourceforge here:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sourcefor...SourceForge.net?

Anyway, when you go to the KeePass download page at Sourceforge, there are Google ads to the right. The first one is invariably worded so that it appears to be a download link to KeePass. Google ads are always in plain text and when I visited the site this morning, the title of the add was "Download KeePass (Here)". The ad is worded differently when the page is refreshed, but the title is always in bold blue letters and underlined, which draws the eye to it and is more prominent than the real download links on that page. Experienced surfers can tell it's an ad (but can get fooled too if they're in a big hurry) but the inexperienced can easily mistake the ad for the official download link.

This is what I believe happened with you. When you click the link, you are taken to a page at sonicdownloads.com. There you can download KeePass, but using an installer program that bundles other apps with it. It is actually the real KeePass--I was mistaken about it being a fake. But I'm reasonably sure that the developer of the KeePass software is not connected to the bundleware version of KeePass. Sonicdownloads.com is, I expect, who turned it into bundleware and making some profit off of it--and can only get away with doing that because KeePass is open source. The KeePass source code can be used by and changed by anybody in any way pretty much--altho there may be a few restrictions. About nine months ago when I was switching from another Password Manager, and trying out several, I ran across KeePass as other apps at least twice. The name of the program was different and there were a few cosmetic changes, but it was the same software. But it was still free and there was no copyright infringement because KeePass is open source.

And this is the whole point. KeePass is freeware without the bundleware installer. The implication at Sonicdownloads is that it wouldn't be free without software bundled with it. That is how it usually works. You get software for free that you would normally have to pay for for free in exchange for viewing the option of installing the bundleware. At least with this, you don't have to installed the bundled apps--making the install process a way of showing ads. So you could say that there is now a version of KeePass out there that has been turned into adware.

In the follwoing blog post is a pretty good example of how it all works, in that case with a popular IM client:
http://gaetandhont.wordpress.com/2009/02/1...hout-installiq/

The first less lesson here is to be very careful what link you click on to download. Make sure it isn't a Google ad--I myself have come close to clicking an ad instead of the real download link, so it's easy to do and doesn't just happen to KeePass.

You now have the KeePass you want that doesn't include bundled ads and didn't install anything else, so that much is water under the bridge. But if you read the blog, the installer leaves behind a marketing tracker in your registry. Don't worry, it isn't tracking you now, but would make a note if you ever tried to install another app using the bundleware installer. That reg entry is what I just had you post from the regfile.txt file. I have one on my own system. A while back I was going to install a bookmarks manager until I read the license agreement for that bundleware installer--I canceled the installation. But researching this issue, I looked for it now, and sure enough it is still there. Same as yours only my ID number is different. :thumbsup:

Even tho it isn't dangerous, I don't want it on my system and I suspect you don't either. At least they aren't trying to hide--the company behind it gives instructions on how to remove the entry:
http://www.w3i.com/information/installiq_learnmore_w.html

But there is a much safer and easier way--please do the following:

Download this attachment and save it to your desktop-->> Attached File  regfile.reg   172bytes   10 downloads

Now double-click the regfile.reg file. Tell Windows it is OK for it to merge with your registry if asked. That's it. You won't see anything happen but the entry will be deleted.

Now the bed is calling me as well. Let me know of any other questions. And I have one for you. What's an LE?

Almost forgot--for the file extensions, I told you wrong. You should uncheck the box that says Hide known file extensions.

The thing about people

is they change

#14 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

Papakid I down loaded regfile.reg. the other file went poof, disappeared. Great...... I also unchecked that box or did need to recheck ? I just did it a few minutes ago! Now Is there a easy way to get my passwords from 360 to keepass? I looked at plug ins but have not done anything yet.
I thought it said there was one that you could do something with, plug in for that. Didn't get time to read it .
I have not read blog yet.

Don't think wrong about what I said in PM. I just think the whole world has gone to H*** in a hand basket sometimes. Stupid People!!!! Me include....I've been certified: Thats why I put that there. I should use the head banger....
:thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers:

THANK YOU AGAIN

Davey Crockett Sr

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hey Davey,

You want for there to NOT be a checkmark next to hide extensions--because we want to see extensions.

Now Is there a easy way to get my passwords from 360 to keepass? I looked at plug ins but have not done anything yet.
I thought it said there was one that you could do something with, plug in for that. Didn't get time to read it .

An easy way to convert?--Unfortunately, no. It's not all that hard either, just time consuming, especially if you have a lot of passwords. Can you give me an idea of how many?

I don't see any plugins to convert InfoVault or Identity Safe data to KeePass.
http://keepass.info/plugins.html
You may have assumed that the first one under Import & Converters, "AnyPassword Import", would Import from any password manager, but that's not the case. "AnyPassword" is the name of another password management program, so that plugin would only convert from "AnyPassword" to KeePass.

What we want to do to make the conversion fast and easy is export your password data from Norton and then import it to KeePass. This is done by exporting to a comma separated values (.CSV) file. (This is another reason why we need to see file extensions, so we know what kind of files we are working with.) It's also known as a comma delimited or tab delimited file. It is some basic computer coding, showing where data is entered into particular fields of the program you are using. Each field is separated by a comma in the .csv file. For example, let's say the first field in Norton's PM program is the title of the site or password record, the second is for a URL related to the site, the third is your user name and the fourth is the password. In a .csv export the fields would be as follows:

MySite,myurl.com,myname,mypassword

Unfortunately, the order of the fields of the program you are importing to are not always the same as the program you are exporting from, so you might get the password in the field where the username should be. Plus you could run into other coding issues that could make the process more complicated than it needs to be. When I converted from Acerose to KeePass, I was lucky enough for the fields to be in the right order, but KeePass requires all field data to be enclosed in double quotes, so I had to edit the .csv file. I even then ran into some other issues--coding is very picky, the syntax has to be absolutely correct, and if you aren't used to how to correct issues you can get stuck real easy--but I continued with it and eventually got it all done because I wanted to learn how to deal with .csv files and such conversions.

If you don't have very many passwords, I would suggest you not try to edit a .csv. Try importing Norton's data if you can and see which fields are in the correct position. Then manually edit each password record to make everything correct.

The other alternative, of course, and probably the easiest if you have only a handful of passwords, is to open Norton, and then open KeePass and start copying and pasting from one to the other.

To export from Norton, check its help file. I found instructions here but your program may have more information:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nco.n....nsf&view=0

Use the instructions for if you are uninstalling Norton. One problem here is that this article says 360 version 2.0 exports to .csv but it doesn't say what version three does. But do please export and then let me know what the exact name of the file is--and you have to have those extensions unhidden to tell if it's a .csv file or not.

A security consideration while you are doing this is what kind of environment you are operating in. Are you at home where there is no one else that can get on your computer and look at the .csv file? If not, just export the file, see if it is .csv and what you can do with it, then delete it before leaving your computer. When you need to work with it again you can re-export. The Norton article says you can password protect the export, but let's not do that yet as I want to see what kind of file you have without password protection.

If you do have a .CSV file exported and want to get started on your own, in KeePass, go to File, Import from, CSV file, and then see how it goes from there.

Something else--if you are going to keep using Norton's password manager, this conversion may not be worth the trouble. Just convert to KeePass if you are going to use it as your PM and because it's possible you will still switch away from Norton.

I have not read blog yet.

No problem, that is just for information.

Don't think wrong about what I said in PM.

Not sure what was in it that I would think wrong about. It was a nice PM and I appreciate being thanked. Please don't assume anything about me not answering. My biggest fault on forums is not answering PM's--I'm terrible at it.

The thing about people

is they change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users