Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spell check is in French

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jrv

jrv

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

I just got a new computer. an emachine w/windows XP.
I have outlook express for my emails & I have the check spelling & recomend a correct spelling, well it does that , but in french. It won't give me the option to change it.???

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 May 2009 - 03:53 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

The same thing happened to me a long time ago; I don't remember the fix I used at the time but I do remember a google search provided the answer for me very quickly on this particular problem..I wish all confuser problems were this easily fixed!

Hope this helps..Please let us know.

Go Here: http://www.google.com/search?q=fix+for+out...lient=firefox-a

ranger72 :thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

#3 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

here is another Google Link: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;sloc=&p=1

#4 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

The same thing happened to me a long time ago; I don't remember the fix I used at the time but I do remember a google search provided the answer for me very quickly on this particular problem..I wish all confuser problems were this easily fixed!

Hope this helps..Please let us know.

Go Here: http://www.google.com/search?q=fix+for+out...lient=firefox-a

ranger72 :)

Thanks ranger 72.
I have tried most of the suggestions in that link & nothing works,
I am thinking about unistalling office 07, and reinstalling the office the old office i had in old computer , i have the disk.
What do ya'll think???
thanks

#5 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

If you go to this link at MajorGeeks and download/install the program there it should solve your Outlook Express spellcheck issues.

Let us know. :flowers:

OOPS! forgot the link :thumbsup: this should do it! http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

See if I got it right this time!

Edited by ranger72, 11 May 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

Do you have Microsoft Office 2007 installed? (No need to answer this, because you've already said you do)The issue you describe crops up in OE after installing Office 2007.
Since OE does not have a spell checker, it relies on spell check installed by MS Office
Programs. If you had a previous version of Office and upgraded, the new 2007 files are incompatible with
OE. Microsoft is aware of the issue but has no plans to correct it. If you want to use spell check with OE, you will have to
1) uninstall Office 2007 and go back to a previous version
OR
2) install a third-party spell check for use with OE. This is the better option, especially if you purchased Office 2007. You don't want to uninstall it and end up wasting your money after paying for it.

Microsoft article about the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

And from AnswersThatWork-Outlook Express Spell Check is French after Office 2007 install

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 May 2009 - 11:46 AM.

#7 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

Do you have Microsoft Office 2007 installed? (No need to answer this, because you've already said you do)The issue you describe crops up in OE after installing Office 2007.
Since OE does not have a spell checker, it relies on spell check installed by MS Office
Programs. If you had a previous version of Office and upgraded, the new 2007 files are incompatible with
OE. Microsoft is aware of the issue but has no plans to correct it. If you want to use spell check with OE, you will have to
1) uninstall Office 2007 and go back to a previous version
OR
2) install a third-party spell check for use with OE. This is the better option, especially if you purchased Office 2007. You don't want to uninstall it and end up wasting your money after paying for it.

Microsoft article about the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

And from AnswersThatWork-Outlook Express Spell Check is French after Office 2007 install

Ok, Ranger & Queen Evie,
I may have done something stupid, but I REINSTALLED (custume installed) my old version of office and that fixed my spell check.
And no, i didn't purchase office 2007, it came installed in my computer and I think for only 60 days FREE, then I will have to purchase. (I think) But i was perfectly happy w/my old version.
opinions welcome here.
Thanks guys

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

It wasn't stupid to reinstall the older version.
As far as upgrading to Office 2007, you already know it affects OE Spell Check.
Did you use the free trial of 2007? How did it compare to the older version?
Only you can decide if it's worth it to upgrade. And yes, you will have to purchase 2007, so factor in the cost when making your decision.

#9 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

It wasn't stupid to reinstall the older version.
As far as upgrading to Office 2007, you already know it affects OE Spell Check.
Did you use the free trial of 2007? How did it compare to the older version?
Only you can decide if it's worth it to upgrade. And yes, you will have to purchase 2007, so factor in the cost when making your decision.

I have used the new version very little . I don't like it as well. i am so used to the old one & I never used everything in it. So, no I will not be purchasing 2007. So, should i just go ahead & remove it now?

Edited by jrv, 11 May 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#10 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

If you are going to stick with the older version of Microsoft Office then by all means; uninstall 2007, no need to have an application on your harddrive which is taking up 400 plus Megabytes of space and that you won't be using.

Please remember to set a restore point before uninstalling Office 2007.

Let's take this a step further; If you are not already familiar with "Open Office.org" Go Here: http://www.openoffice.org/ to learn everything you need to know about a wonderful and free! substitute for Microsoft Office.

It is free! It is constantly being upgraded and all future upgrades are free AND it is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Office and all other major office applications.

You will never have to pay several hundreds of dollars for office applications again and any document or file created in Microsoft office (any version) will open in and can be used with "Open Office".

I use it on one of my computers and when I get as comfortable with it as I am with Ms office I will download onto all my confusers.

Check it out! If you do well or even just ok with Ms Office it won't take you long to aquire the learning curve.

Good luck,

#11 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

If you are going to stick with the older version of Microsoft Office then by all means; uninstall 2007, no need to have an application on your harddrive which is taking up 400 plus Megabytes of space and that you won't be using.

Please remember to set a restore point before uninstalling Office 2007.

Let's take this a step further; If you are not already familiar with "Open Office.org" Go Here: http://www.openoffice.org/ to learn everything you need to know about a wonderful and free! substitute for Microsoft Office.

It is free! It is constantly being upgraded and all future upgrades are free AND it is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Office and all other major office applications.

You will never have to pay several hundreds of dollars for office applications again and any document or file created in Microsoft office (any version) will open in and can be used with "Open Office".

I use it on one of my computers and when I get as comfortable with it as I am with Ms office I will download onto all my confusers.

Check it out! If you do well or even just ok with Ms Office it won't take you long to aquire the learning curve.

Good luck,

ranger72 :thumbup2:

Thanks for the tip, ranger , I will check that out. I just so happy my spell check is working in English. LOL
Thanks to everyone for your help. I love this site.

#12 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

Yes, this is a great set of forums. I think the thread that holds us all together is that everyone here has experienced the frustrations :thumbsup: of our own confusers doing something crappy today that it didn't do yesterday :flowers: . This has happened to all of us.

I have found for myself that by trying to help others learn something new or help with a system problem I learn from the experience as well.

Its great when many chime in to help and the problem goes away.

Happy computing :trumpet:

#13 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Yes, this is a great set of forums. I think the thread that holds us all together is that everyone here has experienced the frustrations :killcomp: of our own confusers doing something crappy today that it didn't do yesterday :lmao: . This has happened to all of us.

I have found for myself that by trying to help others learn something new or help with a system problem I learn from the experience as well.

Its great when many chime in to help and the problem goes away.

Happy computing :)

Thanks Ranger. & I love the word you use (confuser).
if I had a dime for every time i cussed mine , I'de be rich. LOL ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users