Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting 98SE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hey fellaís,
Today is the happiest day of my life! Today Iím going to delete 98se and replace it with windows xp professional! I finally got tired of the headaches! I need to know where to place the bullet! This computer came with this 98se and no insulation disk so how do I wipe the hard drive clean so I can make as much room as possible for my xp professional?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hey fellaís,
Today is the happiest day of my life! Today Iím going to delete 98se and replace it with windows xp professional! I finally got tired of the headaches! I need to know where to place the bullet! This computer came with this 98se and no insulation disk so how do I wipe the hard drive clean so I can make as much room as possible for my xp professional?

We've talked about this before but I can't remember your comp spec. You going to need 500MB Ram and a reasonably fast CPU > 550 and a drive big enough.

You just need a boot disk with Format.com on it. Boot it up from the floppy, if it doesn't read the floppy drive first go into the BIOS/CMOS and change the boot sequence. Once your at the A:\ just type on Format C: and enter then follow the prompts. Just make sure you've saved all your important files first. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

Hello buckshotdad1960,

First, you'll want to run "Check System Compatibility" from the XP CD to verify your hardware.
Make sure your hardware system is compatible first before wiping and trying to setup XP.
You can do this even while in Windows 98SE by simply inserting the XP CD, then drilling down on it's menu, and select "Check System Compatibility".
Then review the results.

Here is one good guide on how to do a new (fresh) XP setup
"Guide to upgrading (or new install) Win XP at Aumha.org by Gary Woodruff "
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

Be very sure you have saved any importnat files or documents from your old system onto removable media.

The setup process of XP will allow you to delete all existing partitions on your HD, effectively wiping the HD. The "Perform additional tasks" is where you'll find the sub-menus for this.

You'll have to boot off the XP CD, after setting BIOS bootup options to boot from CD as first device.

To re-iterate because it is important:
Make sure your hardware system is compatible first before wiping and trying to setup XP.
Most Win98 dial-up modems (if yours has one) will not make the grade for XP, as one example.

HTH
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#4 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

thanks guys but i've already put it on. it tells me i have a boot secter virus. i think it is isass because i have two in my task master. the other is Lsass. i found instructions on what to do to get rid of isass. i'm on my daughters computer now trying to download a program and burn it to a cd. i'm having trouble, i don't know what i'm doing and she is not here. i'll talk to you guys tomorrow if i'm up and running. thank you for your help!

#5 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

it tells me i have a boot secter virus.

Which It is indicating that ?
Did you put on an antivirus program immediately after Windows setup was completed?
If you have not, and if you went surfing online, then wipe the system once more, and start over with a clean install.
You must have an antivirus app installed first thing after Windows XP (or any Windows O.S. or even, other o.s.) is in place.
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:35 AM

avast! antivirus seems to be a good one :thumbsup:
plus you probloy should have left win 98 or overrighted with a new win 98
becasue its most likey that your computer is made to run on win 98
plus you say you have probloms with windows 98
well i installed windows xp like 2 weeks ago on my back comp for testing drivers and software
my god the wrostest OS ever made i mean its crap i hate it
am staying with windows 95/98/ME for ever lol
(but i uesd windows xp berfore lol just needed it for about a week and the ntfs filesystem for some thing over 4gb am not new or any thing lol)

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

avast! antivirus seems to be a good one :flowers:

I've switched to Avast! a couple of days ago because AVG has been a pain in the a**e for months. It wouldn't do the updates it just stopped responding. I'd do a repair and try it again ok for a couple of days then it would stop again. Unistall and reinstall and it would be ok for a week then stop updating.

plus you probloy should have left win 98 or overrighted with a new win 98
becasue its most likey that your computer is made to run on win 98
plus you say you have probloms with windows 98

Yes he should have done a format and clean unstall then he knows everything will be fresh, thats what the first post asked. But as a typical user he doesn't answer the questions asked. We've talked about this before but I can't remember your comp spec. No spec given so I think its an old computer only suitable for Win98SE. Again a typical user wants something for nothing.

well i installed windows xp like 2 weeks ago on my back comp for testing drivers and software
my god the wrostest OS ever made i mean its crap i hate it

Not in my experience WinME is the worst OS M$ ever made. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

windows me rocks lol
once u turn things like system restore of (i mean delete lol with system restore remover pro)and other crap its a nice and fine running os

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users