Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alxres06130 - Reformatted, but what about External Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Notsosmart

Notsosmart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

Our computer was infected with alxres061230.exe and realsvc.exe (aka worm_agent.affz). When it became infected, I immediately shut down the computer, installed McAfee from a trial disk, and lockdown the internet. Once McAfee quarartined realsvc.exe, I thought it was safe and unlocked the internet connection. Then I noticed a DOS screen and saw the other file name alxres061230.exe being loaded. I was on the internet for about 20-30 minutes. After that, I shut it down. My husband started it up again, but disconnected the router and all external drives before doing so. He completely reformatted the infected computer, got the updated version of McAfee, and scanned the computer as well as the external drives.

Are we safe now? Can anything hide on the external drives and reinfect our computers? I'm worried sick about it!!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

If you did a full wipe of the hard drive reformatted and then reinstalled you should be OK. If you want to be abosultely certain and do it again.
The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke
Did you scan the external also?
2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Edited by boopme, 04 May 2009 - 03:12 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users